Installing OS on External Drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Installing OS on External Drive

I tried to install an operating system on my external drive but it won't let me... it says its because I need special software to do this... probably because its hooked up through usb or firewire. Can anybody help me install XP on my external harddrive?

Old 04-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Installing OS on External Drive

There is a page here: http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176 that explains how to do that. Best of luck to you!

www.futurelooks.com/
www.megatechnews.com
Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

pen drive winpe below

Send big files the easy way with sendspace. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

SureBoot Home Page
Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

I had tried using the guide that penfold had suggested and it works great (I think). All of the files seem to install just fine... however, when I actually pick that os when I first boot up, XP loads for a1 sec and then bang... blue screen with an error stating that I may have viruses or something keeping it from running... restart now... yada yada yada. I'm pretty sure I rewrote the installation disk right... I did it step by step... anybody have any ideas as to what I should do?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroShade View Post
I had tried using the guide that penfold had suggested and it works great (I think). All of the files seem to install just fine... however, when I actually pick that os when I first boot up, XP loads for a1 sec and then bang... blue screen with an error stating that I may have viruses or something keeping it from running... restart now... yada yada yada. I'm pretty sure I rewrote the installation disk right... I did it step by step... anybody have any ideas as to what I should do?

if you would have extract my file above to your drive, it would have worked. you didn't need a guide. oh well, the time limit expired on it
Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

I figured I would try the guide first and forgot about your link. What else can I do?