Installing Old Programs Into New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryComTech

Beta member
I need some personal expertise. I have just bought a new computer & am in the process of transferring some of the programs from my old computer to a CD, so I can install them on the new system. I copied the programs out of the “Program Files” directory straight to the CD. I noticed that some of them no longer have an installation shell attached to them.
So my question is, how am I going to be able to install them on the new computer & get them into the registry? Any help & guidance would be appreciated.
My OS is Win XP.

I don't think you can, for them to work 100% correctly, you would need to use the install file for them, to install all drivers and needed registry entries. But don't qoute me here, cause I am not sure.

It will not install registry files and other needed links. You can throw the cds away. You need to get the installer for the program or the origanal program cd.

It actually depends on which game it is. Last week I wiped my brothers pc out and reinstalled XP. Before I did that, I copied World of Warcraft 3 over to the slave harddrive because there are a ton of patches to apply when yon install the game. After I got XP installed, I made a shortcut on the desktop, pointed it the the correct startup file in World of Warcraft and they game played. So give that a try first. It just might work.

As mentioned, you will need the correct registry entries to properly run the programs, some programs will place data to areas other than the install directory as well, try extracting and saving the entries then adding them to the cp, just a guess there, I have never tried that before.

OK, thank you everyone for your input. Once again another of lifeÂ’s lessons learned. From now on, IÂ’ll save the program to disc instead of just D/L & installing them. :)

You can try and take the hard drive from the old machine and install it on the new machine as a slave drive. From there you can do a file and settings transfer wizard. That might allow you to get most of your stuff. Also if you do a back up of your registry you can just use that backup on your new system to have all the registry keys needed.
I would suggest useing a registry backup as it might not work. Plus if there is anything wrong with your old system it would carry over to the new one.
The best thing to do is find the applications and such you want to install and redownload the install package. If you need help finding anything in particular just ask.

Well I guess I have a little more work to do than I anticipated by trying to find some of those programs on line to D/L. Fortunately, most of the programs still have there installation shells intact. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom