Installing new video drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and I have been trying to install new video drivers because of blue screens but don't know if I am going about it the right way. So far I have uninstalled the old driver through device manager then restarted. This is where I get confused. After I restart, Windows automatically starts installing the driver and there is no way to cancel it.

How do I keep Windows from automatically installing drivers so I can install the newest driver? After I uninstall the old driver, instead of restarting, should I install the new driver? Thanks for the help

You need to get Driver Sweeper from Guru3d.com and after you uninstall the driver but before you restart run that.

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

Then restart and Windows should not detect drivers and allow you to install the newest drivers.

Ok, I ran Driver Sweeper with just the display checked and after I restarted and before Windows loaded up, the command prompt screen came up and said "C:\Nvidia> are you sure yes or no. I have never seen that before so I chose no just to be safe. Should I have said yes?

When Vista starts installing a Driver it should be the WDDM driver that ships with Vista for basic operation. It will want you to restart again but after that you can install your new driver. It works for me :D

The process I use:
  • Uninstall the video driver
  • Boot into Safe Mode
  • Run DriverSweeper
  • Reboot back into regular Windows
  • Install the new video drivers
  • Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom