Installing a new Motherboard and CPU. How to restore Windows on new hardware? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Installing a new Motherboard and CPU. How to restore Windows on new hardware?

I am installing a new motherboard CPU combo for my mother's computer. Her old motherboard is a MSI KM2M combo Socket A board with a athlon 1.8 gig processor.

The new board will be a MBM-PM8M3V-341 :: MSI PM8M3-V Via Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard and an Intel Celeron D 341 2.93GHz OEM Processor (3.1 lbs).

I have an Antec Smart Power 350 W psu and a EZ Media 300 W Psu to choose from. I'm going with the smart power until I can afford a new PSU for the board.

I have a 512 mb stick of Pc2700 ram.

And a 40 Gig Western Digital HD with Windows XP home edition.

The reason why I am replacing the board and processor is because it won't start. It only makes a series of long beeps and doesn't even go to the post screen. I have consulted many people about this and they agree that it is either the motherboard or processor or both. So I just decided to kill two birds with one stone and get a combo board. This is 10x faster than her oldboard and she won't be doing anything fancy like gaming on this PC.

I wanted to find out how I could do a repair installation or if I needed to do a new installation since she is using Windows XP Home Edition. A friend of mine told me that microsoft does not allow you to use the operating system on a computer with different hardware. I'm not sure if I need to install the operating system on another HD and then set up her HD as a slave drive. Then use the File transfer and Migration tool to transfer her files and settings. Or I maybe do a repair installation and see if that works. Or if worst comes to worst. Back up her data on a removable storage drive and do a clean install. Could someone give me some advice on this?

Old 04-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

set it all up and boot it. See what happens. There are a couple things that control what will happen next. if it bluescreens, just install XP on the box in another folder. That will get around this problem, and give you all the data still. If it boots up and want's to activate, avtivate it with MS and then uninstall/reinstall all the drivers and such that you need to. and if it just boots, and seems to work, uninstall and reinstall all the drivers.

In this case, I wouldn't expect it to BSOD, but it might since your switching Porcessor types. AMD and Intel use different interfaces so that might cause a problem. Then the MoBo might give you some fits with it's chips too. ..

Good luck
Closed Thread