installing new hard drive w/ skuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

no_use_4_a_name

Solid State Member
i have a dell with a skuzzy hard drive and i bought a second hard drive that i want to install. i plugged it into the moutherboard with no jumpers and it didnt find it. i cant make the skuzzy a master and the new one a slave cuz i understand the skuzzys dont work like that. wat can i do to get both running?

is it possible to go into bios and makes it the secondary master drive and it will run? if so when i get into bios wat do i do to make a drive the seondary master without screwing up my pc. cuz from wat i understand there are a million and one ways to screw it up in bios.

maybe i have a controller, if i need a control to run the skuzzy drive then i must have it cuz my skuzzy drive is working. i just cant add a new drive to it.

i dunno its weird i plugged the wd 120g hard drive straight into the motherboard instead of slaving it (cuz i cant) and my pc didnt recognize it. it didnt no it was there.

*shrugs* i've never installed one.....i've just seen that window's thing, so tha's where i would of had started....i could be wrong though....wait for some more replys...bunch of smart people on this board

SCSI and IDE(ATA) are 2 seperate busses. SCSI doesn't use the master/slave system. It uses ID 7 as the bus controller and then the drives are assigned IDs by jumper 0 through 6 and optionally, depending on the SCSI type, 8-15. IDE/ATA on the other hand use master/slave so if it's the only drive on the chain it doesn't matter how you have it jumpered. It sounds like the IDE busses are disabled in the BIOS. BE WARNED! Some systems such as older IBMs that come with a SCSI boot drive do NOT like having an ATA drive attached when booting off SCSI.

Hope this helps.

Phil

well i see a card like thing in my pc and it actually has a plug for a drive so that must be it. if i plugged the drive into that is there a risk of F*ckin it up or should i try it cuz it looks alot like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom