Installing Dirext X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
I am having a problem downloading Direct X on my new laptop which has Vista on it. I get an errors (DXErroe.log and DirectX.log) Do I have to have SP2 in order to get Direct X? I haven't even had the option for SP2 on my windows updates.

When i try to instal Direct X on my laptop which runs on Vista I get a error that says... An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your windows folder to determine problem. What do i do?

Well for anyone else in this situation. Vista comes programmed with DX10 on it. So there is no need to download directx at all for Vista.

Umm yeah this should have been known. Sorry but Vista has had DX10 since its early beta stages. If you need DX9 to run a game you have to download and install the DirectX Runtimes. Also can download the SDK. Which the latest can be found here...

Microsoft Download Center: DirectX

Just get the newest package and install. It wont overwrite your DX10 install and still allow for DX9 games to be played.

Umm yeah this should have been known. Sorry but Vista has had DX10 since its early beta stages. If you need DX9 to run a game you have to download and install the DirectX Runtimes. Also can download the SDK. Which the latest can be found here...

Microsoft Download Center: DirectX

Just get the newest package and install. It wont overwrite your DX10 install and still allow for DX9 games to be played.

DX10 is backward compatible with DX9. You don't need to install anything until a version comes out past DX10.

Not so. Some games like Doom 3 still require you to install dX9. They do not recognize that DX10 is backwards compatable. So isntead of the game installing its version of DX9 which will overwrite your DX10 on Vista. Use this method instead. Which will allow these games to see that you have DX9 installed and not force you to isntall it.

I have been using Vista for jsut about a year now. I know the tricks. This is one i foudn out the hard way. Believe me. If you try to isntall Doom 3 or UT2004 you will see that this has to be done.

You weren't really clear about how to do it. Can you install the DX runtimes without overwriting DX10, or do you have to install the SDK?

You should be able to use any one of the 2. I have always found the SDK to be the best to use since they have more to offer. But since we are already working with the best then the runtimes should be just fine. I will test this personally and let you knwo the results.

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

That is for the Runtimes web installer.

Okay just ran the Runtimes Web Installer and that works jsut fine. You can use that without any issues.

Why is it that this doesn't overwrite DX10, but DX9 on a game would? Every time I have installed a game with a lower version of DX than what I had, it told me I didn't need to install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom