Installation of Win Xp Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiztedTwit

Baseband Member
My daughter had a pirated copy of Win Xp Pro on her computer, this eventually started giving her problems. I decided to buy her a copy of Win Xp Home with Sp2. Before purchasing this copy I loaded my copy of Win xp Home on her computer, knowing I would buy the new one within the 30 days she had to register my copy.

Now her computer isnt reading from the CD rom when trying to install. I have the boot disks to use also, and it seems to not want to read from that drive either. I know both drives work, but cant seem to figure out what the problem is here, any suggestions?

Check the BIOS settings and make sure it is set to read from the CD Drive first. That is my first suggestion. Then if that dont work it could be hte drive is dead. Boot up XP and see if it will read the drive period. If not then it is dead and needs to be replaced.

bios setting

I had checked the bios first thing, it is set to read from the cd-rom drive. I used that drive when I installed my copy on her machine, and its been sitting here and hasnt been used since I had done that..... the drive was working then.

GO into bios and go to advanced bios and make sure "first boot device is CD-ROM" after that save the changes and then put the windows xp cd in the cd romand restart the comp. Then should say "boot from cd" and should go into the window setup

Advanced Bios?

Dota, to set my boot configuration, I just need to go into bios. Its set to boot from cd-rom.

Under my advanced are the following options:

Chipset:
video frame buffer size
graphics aperture size
MDA access control
Primary Video
Onboard TV-Out format

Onboard Devices Config:
onboard floppy controller
serial port1 add
serial port 2 add
parrallel port add
onboard game port
onboard Midi port
sm bus interface
audio codec interface
onboard lan
onboard lan boot rom

PCIPnP:
Plug & Play o/s
Pci latency timer
allocate irq to pci vga
pallette snooping
pci ide bus master
offboard pci/isa ide card
and list all irq open ports

So Im a bit confused by what your suggesting I do under the advanced bios tab.

TT

are you ready for this?

take out you hdd, ram and cmos battery. clear the cmos with the jumper. put the battery back in

start the computer without the ram and the hdd. it will beep and not start. do this again for extra insurance to clear your ram out

put powermax cd in your cdrom. put the ram back on, then your hdd.

boot to power and wipe your hdd clean. now install windows. microsuck put something in your ram for messing with a bootleg copy. this is how you clear it out

Not a bootleg copy on now

Hi again EricB.......

I had installed my legal copy on her computer about 27 days ago, of course she cant register it, thats why I bought another copy for her. I had no problem installing my copy on there. Do you think I still need to go through that process?

I had once had this happen to me. I had mce 2005, but last year I upgraded my computer to a bigger faster model, so I transfered mce to it and sold my other computer. I forgot to get the hair dryer and take the serial off of the older computer, so 3-4 months later when I reformatted the computer, I didn't have the serial

so I got the mce 2005 that was floating around on the internet. a month or 2 later I had messed around and went to windows update without thinking

then I had your exact same problem. I had got another legal copy of mce, but I couldn't install it as my cd rom and floppies wouldn't boot

one day me and my friend was troubleshooting it, when he suggest to me about taking the ram out, clear the cmos and rebooting the machine without it to clear it.

it worked. you will see in another year or 2 that viruses writer will make viruses that will stay in your ram (they are as big hdd were 7 years ago) and cmos

I would try since you don't have anything to lose

Step by Step

Hi EricB,
First of all thanks to you and all the rest who have posted replies to my problem.

The insides of the computer are literally something I dont know much about. Ive only added more ram and installed a cd-rom drive, so to pull out the hd and reset the cmos and all is rather confusing. Is there a link to a site possibly that might walk me through this step by step, and with diagrams would certainly be a plus!!! LOL

TT

5:00 am and just fed up!

So, Ive been working on this all evening, now Im just fed up. I reset the cmos, then the tower wouldnt even stay on, and my monitor came on then went to a yellow light, displaying nothing.

I thought maybe because there was a copy of Win Xp on the machine that hadnt been activated yet that I could just uninstall it, but when I go to add/remove programs, there isnt anything, and I mean anything that shows up.

I went to the mfg site to get some info, but it didnt prove helpful it all, was able to get a few diagrams on the inside of the computer.

So now that I'm totally confused, I suspose I'll have to call the Best Buy Geek Squad and spend way more than I should have, or have period for them to do something very simple that Im just missing.

Even resetting the bios and using a boot disk, its not reading from either drive to do the install, but they light up for a bit like it wants to, then those drives die, until I take out the disk/disc, then the cd-rom drive is all green looking at that point.

So, unless someone has a quick fix for me, then I would like to thank you all for your input, especially you, EricB. And I'll be sure to post once I get this fixed, and Ill post what it cost too, so everyone can have a good laugh.....lol.

Thanks again,

TT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom