installation mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkwatis

Solid State Member
I mistaken win xp installation.instead of upgrate i made new window intallation on setting hence it shows two xp windows on enter log on. how can i remove one without disturbing the other one

Do they both boot? Meaning when you select one from the list it boots then you select the other it boots or does just one of them boot? Then we can figure out how to edit the BOOT.INI file for your needs.

Win2kpatcher,they do not boot both but the other ends at win xp setup the other one boot completely

Ok perfect. Then this should be easy. Do this..go to your START menu>RUN>MSCONFIG then go to the BOOT.INI tab hit the CHECK ALL BOOT PATHS button. It should error out and ask you if you want to remove it. If that dont work let me know I have more ways :) this is simply the most user friendly.

Win2kpatcher ,can you narrate how to edit BOOT.INI method to simplyfy this issue and to remove competely this setup boot

First you must find out which is your live boot entry. It is most likely this one
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect.

Now we must edit out the bad entry. It is not viewable by default. You must go into the control panel>folder options>view>and uncheck hide protected operating system files.

Now go into my computer then your C:\ you will see the file boot.ini. Double click on it and delete the entry you dont need then save it. This should eliminate the boot option window when the computer boots. Most likely your old system folder is still there though which you can delete if you dont need it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom