Installation to DEFUALT G: not C: anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcel

Solid State Member
Hey pplz.
How do i change it so that each time i enter a setup it has teh default installation path as "G:" not "C:" ??
I done it agggess ago, but forgot how :(

One method would be to create mutliple partitions in the Windows setup screen (after booting from the Windows XP disk) until you reach the one that would be letter G (7th partition), and install there. Another one would be install Windows as you normally would, then when you get to the desktop, go into Device Manager and change the partition name. Don't quote me on the second method as i do not know if that would work.

Xcel said:
Hey pplz.
How do i change it so that each time i enter a setup it has teh default installation path as "G:" not "C:" ??
I done it agggess ago, but forgot how :(

That would require a registry tweak. I'll look it up because I've done it before when I had multiple Windows OS installed and it was defaulting to something else.

Go to Run.
Type: regedit

Backup your registry:
Highlight My Computer
Select File>Export

Name it backupreg

Now navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

On the right side, find the string called ProgramFilesDir and modify it to the desired
path.

If you run into problems installing Windows update or any programs in the future, just make sure to change it back to the default setting. It's a better idea to just change the installation path manually with the program you are installing. I don't see any reason why to tweak the registry unless you're always installing programs constantly.

Yeah I install alot of programs and eventually remove them and install some more, hehe. TBH it's just so much easier having to have it auto done for u, I guess i'm just really lazy.. well thx 4 the post <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom