Install Windows 7 On 2nd Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamloco724

In Runtime
i have windows xp running on my main drive..i just recently added a 500 gig 2nd drive both sata drives if that matters if i want to try out windows 7 do i just boot with the windows 7 setup and install to the 2nd drive and then i will have a dual boot option? or do i have to do something different to make this work smoothly?

When going to install decide first where you want 7 to go. You have the option to dual boot with 7 on a second partition saving the second drive as a storage drive or boot across drives which I do here regularly.

The one thing to note is when reaching the options you will see upgrade and custom where you choose custom anyways since 7 is still in beta form. The beta went on here in about 20minutes before seeing all device drivers and programs installed.

ok i did this but ive decided to get rid of windows 7 for now so i formatted the drive but now its still coming up with dual boot and which os to boot to how do i get rid of this in windows xp..i read something about editing my boot file well here is what it looks like i dont know what to get rid of

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Insert the XP CD and go into the Recovery Console. From there use the fixboot and fixmbr commands.

BCD is for Vista and Win7. Nt for XP. XP uses boot.ini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom