Install windows 2000 on an xp machine? How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samio

Solid State Member
I have windows xp proffesional and I wanted to downgrade to windows 2000. I've checked and I have a basic disk so I should be able to install it on another partition. When I try to install it I get an error saying something not being able to install on current version of windows. I also remember hearing somewhere that you can't install a previous version of windows if you have XP. Just wondering if there is some possible way of doing instead of formatting my drive.

The only thing i can think of is to boot from the 2000 disc and have it install that way. You heard correct XP will not let you downgrade your system. I am not totally positive if you can still install 2000 after XP is installed. But booting from the disc is your best option to try.

Re:

Hello,

If you have Windows XP already installed, and try to install Windows 2000 by executing the installation when booted in Windows XP, it won't work...

...but what Makaveli213, you will be able to boot from the Windows 2000 Setup Disc and install it on another partition. You'll have to create a seperate partition of course if you haven't done so already...

...and then . . . there's a problem. You'll find that after installing Windows 2000 on a seperate partition, you won't be able to boot up into your Windows XP partition because your system can't detect it! This is because when you install Windows 2000 after installing Windows XP, the Master Boot Record is overwritten with the Windows 2000 version, which can't recognise or support a Windows XP partition...

...However, Windows 2000 can be detected by a Windows XP Master Boot Record. I think you should be able to re-write the MBR in Windows XP Recovery Console and have it re-detect the bootable partitions containing Operating Systems on your drive. It should then let you select between what Operating Systems you'd wish to boot into to.

...someone, please correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes: :confused: ...

Also, I would strongly advise you backup all vital data before creating a dual-boot configuration...!!!

Sounds about right to me, Alvin.C.

To re-write the Master Boot Record; in the Recovery Console, you just use the FIXMBR command.

You might also want to run the FIXBOOT and BOOTCFG /REBUILD commands, too, so that you can re-write the boot.ini file to detect both Windows installations.

TMT.

Thanks, you guys are really helpful. I'll try the boot from cd option. Also, after I install windows 2000 I won't need xp anymore so I shouldn't have to get my pc to detect windows xp, I can just uninstall it from windows 2000.....right?

You should be able to install it no problem from the boot disc to another partition.

What you said was discouraging though. Why on earth would you go to Win2K now? Win2K is discontinued and will not be included in mainstream support for many things. If XPs theme is hogging reasources just switch it to the Classic theme. It will look identical to 2K but still get support.

make it a dual boot system. make another partition in windows xp. go to disc management of computer manament and set that partition active. when it reboot to that active partition with nothing on it, install windows 2000. I don't know if 2000 had disc management (it should) or not, use it to boot back to xp (set the xp partition to active). if 2000 don't have disc management, let me know

Yea that sounds more practical, I should keep xp. I'll do that then, thanks everyone for helping, and thanks for the link Tyler.

Tyler1989 said:
He will not need the entire CD Eric. All he would need are the Windows XP boot disks.

http://1gighost.net/ohioman/xpquick.zip

what are you talking about? I didn't say that he need any cd. I showed him how to make a dual boot operating system without using any third party tools. you don't need any cd. I was saying that if windows 2000 didn't have disc manament, I would have sent him a 3rd party tool to boot back to xp (pq boot for window)

most people think that you have to get 3rd party tool to run a dual boot system. windows can do it.

if he set it up as dual boot OS, that "not being able to install on current version of windows'" option won't show up on the second system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom