install some sort of windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
killians45 said:
low level format, just dont do it on VERY old drives.

i'm pretty sure that won't do anything because when i boot rom the cd after format it will still ask for the nt cd i can't even get to the format part on the 2000 cd from the setup program

killians45 said:
it maybe because of the partition type. have you tried to remove the partition?

it wouldnt matter because the windows 2000 cd won't do anything with the hard drive until i have a windows NT cd, my hard drive is empty, with no partition on it as of now

well, if your sure that you have a full version, then zeroing out the HDD would be the way to go. Thats up to you, though. A format does NOT wipe out the HDD nor does removing a partition. It just wipes out the master alloc table. Its up to you, though, if you want to try it. If you do, just goto western digital or which ever drive manufacturer, but I know western digital is called first aid.

oh, forgot... another way is to make a flat installation by copying the i386 into a temp folder (you'll have to create it) and running the setup from there. Need a boot disk and a small knowledge of Dos to do this.

ok
how exactly do i put it in a temporary folder
and how exactly could i run it from that?
are you saying to format the drive, create a temp folder, copy I386 to it and run setup from the hard drive? if so how...lol

well, boot from floppy with cdrom support on it at that point should be at a A:\ prompt. type in the following...

c: <enter>
md tmpinstall <enter>
d: <enter>
cd i386<enter>
copy *.* c:\tmpinstall<enter>

c:<enter>
cd tmpinstall<enter>

now should be at a c:\tmpinstall\> prompt

just run the install from there. think its ntsomething_or_another... been awhile....

ok thx

im testing it in virtual pc once to see if it will work or not cuz im using the cmputer im doing it to right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom