Install issues.

squat251

Solid State Member
So my boss got an ultrabook and decided she hates windows 8. I said no problem, I'll put windows 7 back on there and everything will be hunky dory. However I cannot for the life of me get this darn laptop to boot from a disk, or USB she has an asus S56C, when I go to bios to switch to the disk drive, it will not show up. The thing set to first on the boot options (and the only thing there) is microsoft boot manager. The disk drive works fine, I was able to open the installer for windows 7 from it (but I cannot reformat the drives and such from within windows 8). The usb however will show up as not working when plugged in (little pop up over the clock) and it doesn't matter what port I use, it's usb 3 though so perhaps her drivers need to be updated (which would be odd since the pc has been used for just long enough to install firefox)

try putting the hdd on your computer then click reformat and make to fat32 or the one that starts with a n so windows 8 will work on it then try reinstalling it

the even more broad issue is that even the hard drives (it has an ssd and a normal hdd) don't show up in the bios either, which leads me to believe there is another issue. The only boot option in the boot menu is microsoft boot manager.

try putting the hdd on your computer then click reformat and make to fat32 or the one that starts with a n so windows 8 will work on it then try reinstalling it

I don't want to reinstall windows 8 I want to get rid of it. However in the BIOS neither hard drive nor the disk drive show up. All that shows up is windows boot manager. I want to boot windows 7 installer either from disk or usb, I really don't care which one, though I guess usb would be faster.

I am going to shoot off several ideas, hoping one will work since this seems to be an odd situation. Additionally, I am not positive, but I recall hearing that Windows 8 computers will be implementing something known as UEFI, meant to limit the control BIOS has over the machine, which may explain why the windows boot manager is the only option popping up.

- Try disabling USB 3 support from the BIOS, I am not familiar enough with USB 3, so I would recommend simply using 2.0 for the duration of the process if possible.

-Can you try booting from a partition manager such as GParted? (GParted -- About) From there, hopefully the drives will show up and a should be available to format. I understand the win7 would not boot from usb, but usually these linux distros work in situations like this.

-Have you tried manually opting into the boot device screen at startup? I believe ASUS uses either esc or f12 to opt into this menu. The manual or screen should display the correct option

Hope one of these will lead you to the right path -Rube

Last edited:
Yeah the uefi settings just takes me to the bios which seem to have little to nothing that says anything about it. ESC takes me to a little pop up, but it just has windows boot manager and go to setup which is the bios.

There is an option to go to efi shell (or something similar) but it just has a popup that says warning not found.

Last edited:
Alright, another quick question. What method did you use to create the Win7 usb stick? Let me know if and when you can try out gparted. Hopefully that will narrow down our possible list of problems.

well, after hours of messing with it, there were some options that inexplicably started to do what I wanted. Its funny since they didn't the first time but I managed to get the drives and the disk drive to show, and installed from my disk. I wish that the manuals that they give us actually had all the stuff in it we needed. Thank you for all of your help!

hi im new here , just got the c56s with win8 and i want to put win 7 on it, so when i start the leptop its start the windows in a sec , and there is no option to start the bios or boot option... how can i start the bios.. like the old way by pressing the DEL key.. or F1 key to choice the boot option.. please help me...

as soon as you hit the on button spam escape as much as possible, it should start "setup" which is bios. once in there you need to turn on legacy hard drive support in the general tab if I remember rightly, and then you can choose where to boot.

Back
Top Bottom