Infrared for NT - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Infrared for NT

I have an ibm thinkpad 380xd running NT server 4.0 and was wondering if there is any software out there that will let me use the infrared port and share files with it? I have downloaded and installed the correct infrared driver for my computer model from the ibm site, but that is just the driver. Is there any way to use ftp or telnet to communicate to other computers through an infrared port? I found one that looks like it works, but it is only for win95, and if I try to install it, it says: "Cannot be run in Windows NT"

Old 07-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

Activesnyc 4 I think...

Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Oops, I'm sorry. I meant between two laptops, but not two thinkpads, just one thinkpad and one dell. They both have infrared ports, though. All the sites I found for activesync, they are for between a laptop and a mobil phone. Will it work between two laptops anyway?
"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

whole story here: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-microsoft-put
Old 07-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Can activesync be installed on both computers so that they can connect to each other?
"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

Old 07-31-2006, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

We used to use just the built-in tool the driver provided to connect our NT4.0 machines via infra red...it would "detect" another device near which you simply would connect to. This is what I remember of that era anyway..it has been about 4 years since we ridded our NT4.0 boxes.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

That is in windows 98, as far as I know. I used to use windows 98 on another thinkpad, and it would detect other infrared computers near. A little icon that looked like an infrared port with red waves comming out would appear in the system tray. Windows 95 used to have that too. What was the winNT driver called?

Closed Thread