inaccessible boot device..... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2005, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn
Default inaccessible boot device.....

well....i just got this p3 800 runnin'...specs below...

it was runnin' for3 days now?? about that anyway.....i left it running because it took at LEAST 10 pushes of the power button to start and the mobo battery was done it wouldn't keep the bios settings....

so i come home today..and i've got the blue screen of death....ran out of memeory.....okay.......been ther done the blue screen comes up half way loadin' window's 2k...sayin' i've potentially got a virus....SAME firewall settings, SAME anti virus stuff being ran.......yet it says runs perfectly fine for the past 3 days until now.....

[110.7896] Getting up from chair
[112.8798] Walking to fridge
[118.5234] Opening Fridge
[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!

Old 02-05-2005, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

replace the battery. It might not work though. my p3 600mhz asus had me cold restarting 30-60 times before posting, then it stopped working all together. got a new battery, didnt work.

during the times it did work, I had alot of blue screens... this could be relative to your situation, perhaps.

[root@root root]$ su
Old 02-05-2005, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Replace the CMOS battery so that it retains settings for a start.
The fact that it takes several attempts to start the PC probably won't be solved by a new battery but could be caused by either :
dodgy power switch on front of PC
dodgy psu (the 'power good' pin on the ATX connector to mobo won't allow the system to boot unless it detectd sufficient voltage).

I would also test the RAM using something like memtest86 that can be run a boot disk.
Closed Thread