Importing Users From Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

star_topology

In Runtime
Haven't posted here in awhile, and I can't believe I didn't think to come here sooner because I always seem to get a solution.

Note: Please don't respond with links to Microsoft's Knowledge Base, unless you're sure this is what will solve my problem. I say this of course, because I've scanned the MS KB a lot, and couldn't find an easy solution-- I hope one's out there.

Anyway, here's the deal: We spent nearly $300k on hardware and software upgrades at my workplace. We have all new computers, servers, etc. However, we want to be able to import users from the active directory of an old domain to the new active directory on our new domain.

For example, we have lots of students (I work in IT for a school district) that we don't want to have to manually re-type into the AD.
The old domain for a particular set of students was a server called "seventhgrade" which had its own active directory. Now we are consolidating all students (middle and high school) to a "students" domain controller (students.myschooldistrict.com).

We've found lots of support links, and we've been able to export our students to a .csv, .txt and even .ldf but we can't easily use a "find and replace" type solution for importing them to the new domain AD.

I probably explained it far too much, but I didn't want to leave anything out. But I hope I clarified my problem and someone can come to my rescue. :)

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/W2K3_ADMT.htm

ADMT v 2.0 (Active Directory Migration Tool)
This is a great tool for copying user account information from one Windows domain to another Windows domain. I first used ADMT for transferring users in an NT 4.0 domain into a new domain in Windows 2003. These days ADMT is popular for migrating from Windows 2000 to Windows Server, particularly where you want to start with a brand new Active Directory forest. The prerequisite for using ADMT in Windows 2000 is that the domain has to be in Native mode.

Obtain and Install Active Directory Migration Tool
To obtain the Active Directory Migration Tool dig out the Window Server 2003 cd and drill down to the \i386\ADMT sub-folder. Check the readme file and seek the .msi file. Alternatively, you can download all the files from Microsoft's site, if you take this option, look out for ADMT v 3.0.

ADMT is a well behaved program and the installation is straight forward. I am assuming that you have total administrative control of both domain, in particular you know the administrator passwords. If you use the actual administrator you can be sure that it is a member of groups such as Enterprise Admins and Schema admins. Those who struggle to differentiate between their right and left hands have trouble identifying which is their target and which is their source domain. Only you know the answer to these questions. One sneaky pre-requisite is that both source and target servers must have a C$ and Admin$ share.

So far, we're working on establishing the trust between the domains so that ADMT should work properly.

In the meantime, we're exporting a .csv and trying to import it manually using the DOS commands. However, we're getting errors in the import. Here's the thing, when we manually type in a single record to import (per that link's instructions) it works fine, but when we try to copy and paste a single record (headers and all), it seems to have some erroneous information, preventing it from importing properly. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom