import sound to laptop? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default import sound to laptop?

I am usind a Dell Laptop. I am trying to import sound from a tape deck on to the computer using an Adobe Audition program. I am not having any success. I am using the stereo out (RCA chords) going out to the 1/8" microphone jack. Adjusting the recording levels does not seem to have any effect. Occasionally I hear a very low level distorted sound coming from the computer, but it is not coming from the speakers that are connected. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

What are you using to convert RCA to the mic jack? Have you tried using the headphone jack and going directly from it to the mic jack instead of using the RCA?

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have tried the headphone jack and I get the same result. I am using just a chord that has on one end two RCA ends (red and white) and on the other an 1/8" stereo end. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Hmm.....I have used the 1/8" headphone jack directly to the line-in before with great results. Dunno.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I was wondering if there is a sound card setting that I am unfamiliar with. Do you know of anything besides the recording level that could be preventing the importing of sound.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

use audacity. it's easier to configure
Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I see that I've answer this for you in the audio section but you choose to ignore it.

I was having your exact problem with adobe audition. it a pain in the arse to configure to record from the line in. cool edit (the original adobe audition) pro was easy to do, but audacity is by far the easiest. it's free, plus there are a million tutorial floating around the net on it, even though you won't need one

now you can ignore my advice and keep having the problem or wait forever for an answer or you can do what I said

Closed Thread