IMAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
How do you change the default location of an IMAP PST.

I'm running windows 7 and office 2010. I've decided to setup an IMAP account so I can check email with my laptop using apple mail (it's a mac) while still being able to check emails with my desktop using outlook. Setting both accounts up as IMAP attached to the same gmail account made the most sense so i can have an up-to-date inbox and folders no matter what i do on each machine.

Originally i thought the whole idea of an IMAP account was to not have a PST and to have everything stored on the server. Come to find out outlook still saves the information in a PST located here: C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

I'm okay with it saving a PST and updating that PST based off of what the server has, I don't like this PST being on my C drive. I have a RAID drive that is backed up and i'd much rather put it there.

I can't change the default location. Okay, i take that back i can change where that PST shows up but outlook just creates another PST back on the C drive.

My question is how can i have outlook look at a particular pst on another drive (local) and still have it treat that very pst as an IMAP account (meaning it updates it automatically based off what the server says i have).

I'm lost...

try this?

How to move the IMAP personal folder

Steps to Move the PST

Click to view video:

Move the IMAP personal folder (*.pst)
First, close Outlook then make sure Outlook is not listed in Task Manager, Processes tab a few minutes after you close it.

1.Open the profile (Control panel, Mail) and click on Data files.
2.Select the IMAP acct and click Open Folder to open the folder containing the PST.
3.Move the PST to the desired location. Do not rename the file Outlook creates a new file in the default location if you try to rename it - you can only move it.
4.Switch to the Data Files window and double click on the account's data file.
5.Now you'll get the 'can't find' error and can tell outlook where to find it.
6.Close the dialogs and you are ready to restart outlook.

try this?

How to move the IMAP personal folder

Steps to Move the PST

Click to view video:

Move the IMAP personal folder (*.pst)
First, close Outlook then make sure Outlook is not listed in Task Manager, Processes tab a few minutes after you close it.

1.Open the profile (Control panel, Mail) and click on Data files.
2.Select the IMAP acct and click Open Folder to open the folder containing the PST.
3.Move the PST to the desired location. Do not rename the file Outlook creates a new file in the default location if you try to rename it - you can only move it.
4.Switch to the Data Files window and double click on the account's data file.
5.Now you'll get the 'can't find' error and can tell outlook where to find it.
6.Close the dialogs and you are ready to restart outlook.

Did this work?

Yes it did, thanks man!

I was more stumped earlier because IMAP keeps everything on the server, so why 3.5 gb of data was moved into a local PST blows me away.

I deleted the profile and went through the process again and it only downloaded about 100mb of data - which isn't too bad. I guess it really doesn't matter if the pst is local because technically i don't need to back it up because it's all on googles server.

It works now and is pointing to my D drive which is setup on RAID and backed up - thanks!

New question - how can i make outlook not want to create two PST's? For whatever reason with an IMAP account it wants to have an account that has the naming convention like the email account then just a normal PST that you can name. I've got both moved to the proper location, but really i just want one PST.

Yes i've deleted the second one and it just recreates it in the default location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom