Im at a loss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ste

Do not Stare at my Avatar
I cannot get exact specs of these computers, because they don't know and won't let me open them up, but it doesn't rly matter anyways.

So a client of mine has two computers at a take out resturant, they are old dells, built in 2000 and both use windows 2000 professional.

Both computers are touch screen, have small ticket order printers and are directly networked to each other..

They want me to hook up and get working a relatively new normal inkjet printer to print larger documents from bother computers.

The computers do not have a CD-ROM drive or a working internet connection, so once I found a USB drive old enough, I copied the contents of the Installation CD to the drive and poped here in.

I ran the setup file, and the application stated that installation was complete.

So I plug in the USB for the inkjet printer, the hardware configuration states that it is installing the driver for the new device, however it throws an error for trying both ways (Errors present operation cannot be continued). I tried both auto find proper driver and manually pointing the setup to the drivers in the installation folder for the printer.

The hardware configuration detects the printer via USB but says the driver is not installed or is unknown. So Figured a manual manual copy and paste of the printer drivers into the system 32 folder + a restart would work.

Nothing, still says printer driver is not installed even though the setup file for the printer was ran and said it was completed without error.

I also tried the add new printer walk through in control panel, but that setup says it does not detect a printer.

I am sure it is the right drivers for the device.

Should I have pasted the drivers into the system folder or perhaps a different folder.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the operating system is simply too outdated to recongize the printers.

Any suggestions or advice?

What make and model are the printers ? Hard to say if the OSes are too old until we know what printers they are, maybe the drivers are not backwards-compatible with Windows 2000.

I think its an HP deskjet 6150 or something.

But it should have worked because in the installation folder theres a folder called drivers, and within it contains drivers for 98, 2000, XP and vista.

I tried manually placing and pointing the computer towards the files in the windows 2000 folder.

Did you reboot ? Don't know if you would need to for printer drivers, but worth a shot ? I am also wondering if the driver is not backwards compatible with Win 2000.

I did restart many times.

That wouldn't make since, I manually droped and pointed the system towards the drivers entitled windows 2000..

Ok, I read that earlier but was a little bit confused, now I know what you did. Well, not sure then, it seems like it should have worked for you. Maybe you could contact HP via e-mail, and explain the situation. I have contacted them before and they responded within a few days if I remember correctly.

Are there even drivers for Win2000 for the printer? If not then that will be the first issue. As you cant use a XP Driver. Win2000 is all NT Based. XP is a NT Hybrid to include aspects of the 9x platform as well.

Mak, I think he was mentioning that he pointed to the Windows 2000 folder on the installation folder. So apparently so, it seems.

Do the drivers need a particular service pack of Win2k? If they do and it's not on there, this could be an issue as well. But I wouldn't install a SP on those machines unless you know for sure that the point of sale system needs to be on a specific version. If those machines are still supported by a 3rd party, perhaps you should contact them before you do anything else to those machines. Looks like a small flat filed point of sale where one of the two is considered a master (or server) and the other is a client.

Even if your question sounds silly, I would contact the pos vendor and ask them if there is anything special for adding a local printer (beyond a service pack discrepancy)

Are there even drivers for Win2000 for the printer? If not then that will be the first issue. As you cant use a XP Driver. Win2000 is all NT Based. XP is a NT Hybrid to include aspects of the 9x platform as well.

Pretty sure there is, there was a folder for it..

Do the drivers need a particular service pack of Win2k? If they do and it's not on there, this could be an issue as well. But I wouldn't install a SP on those machines unless you know for sure that the point of sale system needs to be on a specific version. If those machines are still supported by a 3rd party, perhaps you should contact them before you do anything else to those machines. Looks like a small flat filed point of sale where one of the two is considered a master (or server) and the other is a client.

Even if your question sounds silly, I would contact the pos vendor and ask them if there is anything special for adding a local printer (beyond a service pack discrepancy)

Ya, basically what I thought, Update the darn OS before I try anything else.

Its what I told them.

But you know, noone ever listens to the computer guys.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom