illegal XP and Norton 360. Will you be protected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolygoofy

Solid State Member
Hello All

The simple question:
Will XP Pro, with no service pack installed, but running Norton 360 run safe and not get trojans, virus, worms or all those nasty things out there?

The full story:
Recently a cousin of mine brought me a computer full of virus, worms, trojans, you name it, it was there. The system was running on XP with Media and it was all legal. My cousin wanted it clean and he had a tech spend 16 hours with no results. After trying to quick restore, factory restore and hours gone to waste the tech gave up and he came to me. At first it looked easy but then things got bad. I thought that using Norton 360 we would be able to get ahead since he did not have an antivirus, but after trying to install 360 we got an error that put us where we started.

The cousin said reformat the hard drive, I have an XP serial at home for XP Pro and we'll start new. After reformating and trying to put XP, the serial didn't work and he had to get an illegal online and now he is running illegal with XP and can't get any updates for Windows.

So until he pulls a couple of overtime hours he wants to know if running XP with no Service Pack, but having Norton 360 will he be safe to surf the net?

Does he still have an oem key on the machine? If so just call microsoft and get a CD. Or go and download an iso of whatever cd he has a key for. But without service packs he might as well be in a boat full of holes, he will in fact sink eventually.

Just use the windows XP WGA patcher i had it somewhere on my hard drive il tell u if i find it, but only if you want it it lets u dl al the updates AND programs ie7,wmp etc...

google sp2 and slipstream it into the xp cd with autostreamer. norton couldn't catch a cold, much less a virus

then google autopatcher. ms just had them shut down but you can still find it. it will finish updating you

Well if your saying that hes just going to pull some OT hours and get a key then i wouldnt worry about spyware or anything id just get the key reformat and put in the key.

Well solution found. He is going to swipe a credit card and get a genuine copy. Thanks everyone for your help.

google sp2 and slipstream it into the xp cd with autostreamer. norton couldn't catch a cold, much less a virus

then google autopatcher. ms just had them shut down but you can still find it. it will finish updating you

Can autopatcher alone update pre-SP2 computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom