Is it illegal to put the same OS on virtual machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollyoaks777

In Runtime
Is it illegal to put the same OS on virtual machine? Google threads saying it is and others say it isn't. I would think it is not as it's on the same computer you are using. But I am not sure so would like an answer if anyone knows.
Thank you in advance

I don't think so, as retail can only be put on one computer at a time. That will be like putting it on two separate PC's. Not allowed.

You could always not activate it and reinstall after the time is up.

Technically it is. Cause you already have it installed on that machine once. The EULA says it can only be installed on 1 machine at any given time. So that means by installing it again in a VM using the same serial is not having it installed on only 1 machine at any time. Cause right there you have installed twice on the same machine.

You can do it with MSDN or TechNET versions cause they are specifically stated to be able to be used in a testing environment. A retail or OEM license does not provide this luxury.

It states it right in the EULA that everyone just skips over and doesnt bother to read:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. Except as allowed in Section 2 (b) below, you may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

Later on it says this:

d. Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer.

That says it all right there. Since you already have it installed and activated that is the licensed machine. It is installed directly. Which negates the option to install it in any virtual way. It is illegal.

Thanks guy's that's a shame as i was wanting to run things inside virtual machine so it doesn't mess my computer up. Thanks for your replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom