is this illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollyoaks777

In Runtime
i bought an external hard drive for more space the other day and when it asked me to register i untiked the or usuall boxes no e-mails or post on the first page, the boxes were at the bottom left but when i got to the last page i thought i had done all the unticking it came up which os i was using and service pack ,and i am sure my product key was there too so seen thought i unticked all the boxes and was in a hurry i hit submit at the bottom left and then i got a look at a box that wasn't unticked in the middle right of the page, saying can we use this information, i was to busy reading that as i had already hit submit before it went away, i didn't see if my product key was there,surely that is illegal for them to do that.
thank you in advance

Sorry, I am having a hard time reading this.
Could you please break your post down into a paragraph.

You are talking external hard drives one second, and then you are talking about serial numbers the next. Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

basically i bought a hard drive and when it asked me to register it, it came up with which os i was using and servicepack the external hard drive done this and when i clicked submit to register, i noticed that i hadn't unticked a box on the last page, it said is it ok if we the hard drive company use this information, and i dont know if my product key was there as it disappeared as i already had hit the submit button to register the hard drive.

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about in this case scenario.

What you described doesn't sound illegal in any way.

are they allowed to take my product key for vista thats illegal is it not, though i cant be sure they did, i think it must have been there as it was the same layout the external hard drive brought up when you right click computer>properties.

Almost positive they didn't take your Vista key.

You really need to use punctuation, it's difficult to understand what you are saying.

I will bet you my system that they didnt take your Serial Number. If anything it used a Product ID number for Vista or the Register To code that is in the system properties which can NOT be used to get a serial number.

Start the software again to register. See what information was given by you, and this time, read through it.

Plus, if they did take your serial, you most likely agreed to their terms, and I'm sure they would have had sometime written into it about this. So no, it's not illegal. Chances are, they didn't take your serial. I agree with what Mak put.

i wish i could re register to see what it says but when i plug it in now its just ready to use thanks guys

ok guys thanks for your input, i trust mak is correct as he is a whizzkid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom