If using WinXP 32bit on 64bit comp. My chances of using 32bit software increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgray152

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I am not a huge liker with Windows 7 and the concept of the 64bit system. Lots of programs and games I used to use don't work and some new software still doesn't seem to work with 64bit systems.

So my question is, even if I loaded WinXP 32Bit on my 64bit machine which now has Win7 64bit, will my chances of running older 32bit programs increase or is it up to the 64bit processor and not the OS to determine if I can use older software or not?

You won't have, or shouldn't have any problems because of the CPU.

I suggest making sure you can find WinXP 32-bit Drivers for all of your equipment.

How much ram does your system have? The 32-bit version of XP will only use 4GB of memory total, that's 4GB counting the memory on the video card and any other component with on-board memory.

I have 4gb of ram. Video is an Intel POS so not sure what that has. This is on an HP laptop. I was thinking of running two OSs WIn 7 and Xp on two separate partitions.

I'll check to make sure my system will work with XP. Is there a website that can automatically check for valid drivers for 32bit os?

You'll be limited by 32-bit on XP. That's all.

Look on the HP website. Should ask you what OS you have, just choose XP.

You better check the website of the manufacturer to make sure that they have XP Drivers. If they do not installing XP may cause many of your piece of hardware not to function correctly or at all and there is no way to fix the issue without proper drivers. Most companies have stopped supplying XP Drivers. So you maybe stuck with Win7 if there are no drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom