If I...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a tick...

If I back up my hard drive(with ghost), and then on another HDD with XP pro on it use the recover function, do you think I will have a bootable OS with all my old stuff?

just do this. from a post of mine

Tricks to speed your computer

1. You can move my document to the 2nd partition. Go to start right click my documents, click properties (you can only do it here) and select move. Move it to you second partition. This will speed up disc performance plus if you have to reformat, you won't lose your data.

Christ man....

I don't want to do that. I want to have all my PROGRAMS.

It's not about the docs. I've got that covered. Will what I said work? Should it?

Christ man....

I don't want to do that. I want to have all my PROGRAMS.

It's not about the docs. I've got that covered. Will what I said work? Should it?

you want to huff at me.

I'm sorry but don't get mad at me because your simple but can't do a simple chore. you said the you wanted to use the 250 for windows and the 500 for storage.

your post

Well, I might have found a fix for the NTLDR thing.

If I can fix it, cool. If not, I will have to add my 75ish programs and junk on the second drive.

And Makaveli, One of them is 250gb, one is 500gb. The 500 one I want to use for storage, the 250 for my systems. (XP, and Ubuntu)

if you do what I just said it will do exactly as you wanted. it will move your 100 gig or more of documents to the 500 gig. it will clear that same exact space up off of the 250 gig drive. you will still have your program, registry setting and everything else. your second drive will be for storage

it will save you the 2 weeks that you just wasted trying to copying the same drive to a bigger one which BTW won't let you do what you are trying to do. it will just put xp on the bigger hdd. my way will do exactly what you want. you will just need to get partition software for the 250 after you do it my way if you want to install linux or something else

I cloned a hard drive to a bigger one a million time with lots of different software without any problem. you just got to know what you are doing, which you don't. but again doing that won't let you use the first drive for xp and linux and the second for storage. my way will

if you do what I just said it will do exactly as you wanted. it will move your 100 gig or more of documents to the 500 gig. it will clear that same exact space up off of the 250 gig drive. you will still have your program, registry setting and everything else. your second drive will be for storage
You obviously misunderstood my post then. I want my systems on one hard drive, (this includes documents) the 250. The 250 is new. Nothing on it. The 500 is old. System on it. I want the system on the new. Not the old.

I cloned a hard drive to a bigger one a million time with lots of different software without any problem. you just got to know what you are doing, which you don't. but again doing that won't let you use the first drive for xp and linux and the second for storage. my way will
You're right. I have never cloned a bootable OS before. I ask how. So far, you have been unable to solve my problem.

I do have it covered. I do not need to worry about my documents (which we were both refering to) I have it covered. Hence, why I said that.

Now, let's review my problem:

1) I have an interesting 500 gig drive (Interesting partition wise)
2) I want to clone D:, my OS, onto a new hard drive. I want an exact clone.
3) It gives me an error (NTLDR is missing)
4) A repair install was recommended. It didn't work. No, I need to re clone it.
5) Once I get my new hard drive(250 gb) working, I want to move all the files from my old (500 gb) to the new (250 gb) so I can do a full format of the old (500 gb) to get rid off all the partitons, and use it purely for storage of files, that would now be on the new (250 gb)

Can you actually help me?

Not all questions have answers, not all problems have solutions.

Keep it clean, no insults or flaming, or I will become trigger happy.

Not all questions have answers, not all problems have solutions.

Keep it clean, no insults or flaming, or I will become trigger happy.

Well, apparently this one does, he says it's quite easy.

I didn't insult or flame, I just pointed out he wasn't much help.

(What did you edit anyway, I thought I kept it acceptable)

I have already told you of the tools needed to do this. Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. I have also stated that those sites have information on how to use them. I have also given you information on how to solve the NTLDR issue. I will post the direct comment on that one:

NTLDR is missing or corrupt (or one of its variants)
Windows Boot Manager has experienced a problem.
File: \ntldr
Info: The selected entry couldn't be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

As this error message says, NTLDR could not be located. Make sure the Windows XP entry in EasyBCD points to the system drive and keep in mind that this is not necessarily the same as the drive that Windows XP is installed to.

That was in the link i gave you previously. I will give it again.

Troubleshooting Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Now you have all the information needed to accomplish what you need to do.

http://download.acronis.com/pdf/trueimage7.0_ug.en.pdf

Acronis True Image User Guide

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r...N5Fq3vZpS4TJIBr2Q&sig2=_wgggu22JzsVJ4pSSKAEIQ

Norton Ghost Guide.

Google Search for both.

Norton Ghost User Guide - Google Search

Acronis True Image User Guide - Google Search

That is all we can do for you. We have given you all this information. Now it is up to you to find out how to get this done.

Acronis does not allow me to clone a partition, just the HDD.

I am retrying NG now, with something that might fix the NTLDR problem. (Nothing you posted helped me)

I know how to set up a clone procedure, thanks.

Christ man....

everybody else here, can you please explain to this guy what this means below?

One of them is 250gb, one is 500gb. The 500 one I want to use for storage, the 250 for my systems. (XP, and Ubuntu)

he seem to have a different definition of storage since to most of us, our documents (music,video, pics, .pdf and .docx etc) are storage files. he seems to miss the point this if he get some nasty viruses and spyware and has an unbootable system, that he will lose his documents. now if they are on another partition (better yet, another hdd) they will stay intact

You obviously misunderstood my post then. I want my systems on one hard drive, (this includes documents) the 250. The 250 is new. Nothing on it. The 500 is old. System on it. I want the system on the new. Not the old.

again explain how doing this will make the first drive an os drive and the second one a storage drive?

You're right. I have never cloned a bootable OS before. I ask how. So far, you have been unable to solve my problem.

I solve it. check the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom