IE8 Corrupted - Internet Options will not open

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftcoasttech

In Runtime
I just resolved this issue for a customer, and thought I'd share the solution to save others the hastle if they run into it.

Problem: IE8 buttons are missing and internet options won't open due to either malware or a registry optimizer (I'm not sure which caused the problem). User does not have System disks. (Oviously, malware must be removed first)

Trying to uninstall IE8 so that we could reinstall it produced errors that it was unable to find various files to copy. The trick here is to use search companion (or any desktop search) to find and direct it to the appropriate folder. The last item was a .000 file that it wanted from an NT Service Pack Uninstall folder. This is the only one that is really important for the uninstall, as skipping this one will cause the uninstall to cancel, and reinstalling on top does not resolve the problem. The folder you are looking for is C:\Windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$
Once found, then it gives the same error about not being able to copy. Skipping at this point is ok and the uninstall will complete. Then reinstall IE8 from either the direct download or from Windows update.

Side note, I believe the difficulty in uninstalling was due to SP3 being installed after IE8.

I hope this saves some people a little time in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom