IE8 Beta released to the public

Status
Not open for further replies.
let's make this a sticky for ie8 testing, hehe

and on a side note...man, I wish they would make windows 7 fully non backwards compatible...but do the emulation thing like ie8 with the "emulate ie7" button

Windows 7 all 64bit...no legacy code....emulation mode for win9x, nt, xp

funnily enough (yes < typed on purpose) I think ie8 renders hotmail incorrectly, hehe. Or could be me and my dialup not catching up. :p

No you are not wrong. Here let me go into details here.

IE8 is the poster of the word Beta. If you have not tested Betas before or do not understand what it means to be a Beta, by all means DO NOT download and use this.

IE8 renders everything incorrectly. IPB forums, vBullitin forums, MSN, Hotmail, Reports of Microsoft.com broken with Silverlight installed and the list goes on.

IE8 is going to be Microsoft first step into a unknown region for them. The region of Web Stanardization. They are trying to make IE8 more standardized for everyone. Trying to get IE8 to pass the Acid2 test so that it will make it easier for coders out there to code a website for general use in ALL browsers. Not have to code specially for Firefox, IE or any others out there like Opera, Safari and such.

So after the release of Firefox 3 and IE8 the Web Standards will start to take over. As all 3 of the major browsers used will be all able to pass Acid2 and be able to display pages correctly. No matter which browser you use.

With all of that said i must say that havig the IE7 Emulate button is nice. So that if you go to a site that renders horribly you can jsut go back to IE7 view. There is also a lot of more useful tools which i have yet to test out. But all in all i am rather happy with the direction. It doesnt pass Acid2 yet. Nor is it really that fast when working. But this is a step in the right direction for those of us who understand anything about coding and what it is like to have to add bits to code for rendering in IE or any other browser.

All in all i am happy with IE8 right now. Buggy as can be. Renders horribly. But it is a move forward that has been needed since IE7 was released.

Maybe i will take your Sticky idea seriously in the future Atomin, but right now it isnt worth it as IE8 was just released as a first Beta and we still have people who haev not used IE7 yet....

Liike IE 7 before it it's still in beta form. I ran 7 in beta and dumped that fast until the finished version was released and then couldn't wait to get out of IE 6 once and for all!

With XP now as a secondary OS a clean install of the beta version of IE 8 will be given a good run to see how that differs. The minimum for XP is SP2 to note here.

Well i enjoyed the IE7 Beta. It wasnt that bad. Not as bad as this one. There are barely any sites that render correctly. Forums add 2 posts pet i click. It is insane.:laughing:

Love bug hunting. Give me something to do.:p

Perhaps IE 7 beta was a later beta release then made known about. This one looks like beta #1 while IE 7 may have seen Beta #4 then. Who knows?! :p

Once I get past some minor annoyances with XP at the moment I can give this one a good look to see if it will worth waiting for. The next version of Windows will be sure to see it there.

I was a tester of IE7 and i got Beta 1. ;) It still wasnt this bad. To me it seems they rushed this to get it out for MIX '08 without trying to make the code more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom