IE problems - Parameter is incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHSmooth13

Beta member
I have recently had problems with my Internet Explorer. When I try to open certain pages (i.e. Yahoo, Ebay, AOL, etc.) the browser becomes slow or I recieve a HTTP 400 error message. I took off the friendly error messages on the advanced tab in Internet Exploerer properties and I get the message "The parameter is incorrect". I have tried using other browsers such as Firefox and going to Windows support and trying to repair the program but I have had no success. Are there any suggestions? Thanks!

Matt

try a repair install of ie. just go to add remove programs in the contol panel click ie and make like you are going to remove it. It should give you some opions to repair.

I am using Windows XP Pro and I dont see IE in the Add/Remove programs. I heard it is integrated with Windows Explorer and it can not be uninstalled. I did try to repair it using my XP CD and I also downloaded IE 6 from the Windows website and tried to install that. I also reset the defaults in IE properties. Still nothing. Thanks for your help though.

Matt

poopies, quess you'll need to re-install windows then. In my experience repair installs of xp just don't do frick all. Backup format and reinstall.

Take note of all your system drivers and download them all ahead of time, put them on a cd and then you don't have to waste time getting drivers later.

How to Repair or Return to Previous Internet Explorer Installation
If the Internet Explorer Repair Tool Verification does not work, or if Internet Explorer 5 is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, you may be able to start the Internet Explorer Repair tool from a command prompt. To do so, click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"
NOTE: This command is case sensitive.

If you need to replace a bad file from the original Internet Explorer or Windows media, use either the System File Checker (SFC) tool or the Extract tool to extract the file. For information about these tools, view the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

nice mr monster! I was looking for that myself and couldn't find it...(only gave it a couple mins till I checked here again :) )

By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom