Idiot in need of assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylar

Beta member
Sorry if this sounds stupid...

I'm running Windows XP Home, and I need to install windows 98. I have already partitioned my drive. When i go to install, it says i have to install in DOS. I have searched around and somehow can't seem to find how to boot in DOS. It's not as simple as hitting Shut Down and booting in DOS.

anybody?

you should stop putting yourself down. its one thing to not know, but making fun of yourself is not really cool man. anyways...to do what you want the easy way: goto www.bootdisk.com and download & make the windows millenium boot diskette.

put the floppy diskette in and boot from it. select the "boot with CD support" option.

if any of your volumes (primary partitions, logical drives) on the disk are currently formatted with NTFS you must get into the DOS a:\ prompt and run FDISK to delete the primary active partition using FAT32. the reason why is because an NTFS volume cannot be accessed by DOS. if your volumes are FAT32 than you can skip the deleting process and just do a simple Format operation so you can install win98/ME.

if you have a winXP CD you can boot with it and just delete and format just like i told you above. all of this is much easier than it sounds. goto www.computerhope.com and read about the format command and use their FDISK simulator. all is explained there on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom