An Idea for an OS inside an OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargate005

Beta member
Why hello there ladies and gentlemen,

Its my first time using this forum and hopefully you will enjoy reading and commenting on my ideas.

After searching the net over and over again I have come to the conclusion that this is the only forum that has something to do with my topic lol.

Anyways, my idea uses a OS designed inside another OS such as windows. See my question is why hasn't anyone created a virtual Reality OS yet, using VR goggles and such...

My idea is to design a simple yet complicated VR "Computer Interface" That is designed the same way as an average video game. Only the video game would be tied into the pc itself. See when you do something in a game it only effects the video game your playing at the time. But to put it in simple terms why not tie the game into the actual OS the what I will now term the game OS as a "Virtual Operating System" or VOS.

Now in a VOS you would boot up a pc, such as a pc mini wich are just little blocks if you've ever seen one. Very compact. This will allow it to travel around with you. Then it would attach to a pair of VR goggles instead of a normal screen. The game would be created as any other game. If anyone has seen the tv show Andromeda and when they enter the virtual reality matrix they enter what I wold think of as the inside of a video game. Once you boot up you pc mini, the windows OS your game was designed on would automatically boot up your game.

Now once inside the game you would appear in your virtual world. The headset would be connected to a microphone, which will be used to give commands instead of a mouse as well as virtual gloves and some sort of sersory system, which could be incorporated just like a normal VR glove, that sences when you move your hand.

Now as an example when you boot into the game and show up in the start room and you want to access a document you had created such as a short story. So using windows terms you may have made a folder in your actual OS called My Documents for example. Then in the game there could be another room beside the start room with a sign ontop of the door that says "My documents", which actually links to your real OS and the real file folder, or mabe you would say into the mic "My Documents" and a line would show up ont the floor leading you to the "My Documents" room. Now once inside there could be a screen and a bunch of file folder cases inside the room. If you go to the ingame screen on the wall and say "open __insert file name here___" into the mic it would pop up or you could go into the folders and actually sort through them using your glove and as you move your hand as if you were sorting through folders in real life ther folders would move showing names of files inside the folders represented by a white peice of paper with a name on it. Once found just touch it on a certain spot on the page an volla it will open on the screen in the room. From there maybe you want to edit it, so you could say into your mic "edit" the actually dictate your message such as saying keywords like letters, "enter", "tab" etc...

Then just say something like "save" and the game would actually save the file on your actual windows OS. Mabe you want to email it to someone you could just say "Email this to __insert email here___"

Using these applications you could do anything you could on a pc and more. All the technology mentioned here such as voice activation and even the VR glove (which I actually own , only cost like 60$) and the VR headset, are all openly available. The only thing that would need to be developed is the game and the know-how to connect the game to the files on the windows OS, which shouldnt be too complicated.

So like you can see it is possible to create a real VR Operating System environment that would allow you to control a computer system and do it physically without the limitations of a normal pc. You could actually live the computer experience, because all a computer truely is, is one big grouping of folders with files and why not make it interesting to access, edit and play around with files and programs that can be expressed as actual objects around you.

Sorry I know its a long message but I really think it could be a big thing and a great way to look at a new form of Operating System.

Please tell me what you think and give your opinions.

Thanks,

~Stargate005~

most of this has already been done or happening already these days, your not talking about a virtual OS, but a GUI based on a VR environment in some of the quite confusing post above

the whole virtual operating system environment, virtual PC has been done...Microsoft's virtual PC and Virtual server system as well as VMware and many others.

IBMan said:
the whole virtual operating system environment, virtual PC has been done...Microsoft's virtual PC and Virtual server system as well as VMware and many others.

Sorry I think I may have confused you guy by calling it a VOS. Microsofts Virtual PC and VMware are just computers that emulate other OS's. These OS's have already been made.

Those programs you mentioned have nothing to do with my topic. I guess I must have just made the post too complex. I wasn't talking about emulating an OS inside of an OS such as Linux inside of Windows.

The entire point was talking about a totally new way of thinking of an OS. Not something you look at on a computer screen but creating a fully virtual as in VR gear not a key board and mouse. I mean walking around and interacting with your computer not clicking but touching not staring but looking around.

I made a mistake calling it a virtual os. It follows the same principle on how it would work but all virtual os's created now are just emulated os's that are used on normal pc's like linux, mac and windows.

I want you to think what it would be like to walk inside a computer and physically interacting with it. Well thats my idea, and I was just trying to explain how it would work.

Your both thinking about just emulation, I'm thinking about a totally new way to look at operating systems, interacting with them and using them. Take out computers as we know them and replace them with true VR technology.

~Stargate005~

I think the only truly way to do that is to have electrodes hooked up to your brain so you wouldn't have to have any other interface.
Maybe patches or some king of helmet. Kind of like the work there doing with prosthetics.

horndude said:
no, your talking about nothing more than a virtual reality GUI to the OS

Yes... that is what I'm talking about but the interesting part is not the connection from the GUI to the OS but the GUI itself. In reality you dont even need an OS, just run the game program from DOS, and create your own small OS just using files and folders with no GUI.

See everyones missing the point its not about the connection to the OS or about the emmulation of another OS.

Its about the idea of a OS based upon a video game that is not seen using a computer but seen using a VR headset and gloves.

If you guys think your right and that its all been done, I want one of you to show me an OS that I can put on a headset and a pair f gloves connected to a mini box and appear in a room that I can walk around in and do exactly what I can do on a normal pc without the use of a keyboard and a mouse.

Oh and for the message about being connected directly to your eye nerves... you dont need to do that lol... that technology is still a bit far off.

~Stargate005~

I think that would be crazy to develop, however if there was technically no os and just a gui, that wouldnt work there pretty much HAS to be an os, or you'd just be looking at pictures from a picture viewer, couldnt really do much more.

IBMan said:
I think that would be crazy to develop, however if there was technically no os and just a gui, that wouldnt work there pretty much HAS to be an os, or you'd just be looking at pictures from a picture viewer, couldnt really do much more.

Ya that would be true you would need some type of os to run the game, but the thing is it wouldn't really matter what os since all can run your everyday 3d game :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom