IDE to SATA with norton ghost clone-> no boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

komitas

Beta member
I have an IDE HDD with windowsXP and I recently bought a SATA HDD. I wanted to avoid formating and setting up a fresh OS so I used norton ghost 2004 to clone my IDE drive to my SATA drive.

After that I removed the IDE and tried to boot from SATA. The result is that it begins the boot sequence showing windows xp logo with the moving status bar but after that on the welcome screen it hangs without showing any user account to select and instead of showing the welcome logo it show the windows xp logo.

Can I make it work or I have to create a fresh setup

FRESH SETUP.

Norton's Ghost only work if you are keeping to the same technology.

It it was IDE to IDE, then I would say it should work.
But considering that it's IDE to SATA, then i seriously dought that it will work as you are changing the technologies around.

Silesia it worked

Don't ask me how, I can not tell exactly because I do not know how.

The first time I cloned the drive it didn't boot because there was the driver of the sata controller missing. I begun the setup process of XP to create the menu and it f**** up the system. But it passed the bios and went to the booting screen of XP.

Then I made a search in some forums and read about a file of microsoft sysprep.exe which is in the file driver.cab in the XP cd.
I executed it not knowing what it was. It made one boot then I executed it again as it told. Made a second boot and when it loaded back the OS I saw that the primary drive that was running from was the SATA. (I had cloned my drive again before I executed the file).

What I understood was that this file prepares the OS for something, don't know what, it asked me for the serial the first time I booted after executing

What I know is that I have lost nothing and windows run under C drive which is my SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom