(!)IDE Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kali

Baseband Member
So I royally screwed myself here. Yesterday I wanted to hook-up my Dvd-rom and instead of taking the time to unscrew the drive and pull it out I thought I could eyeball the jumper settings. So I 'm gonna make it a slave to my cd-rom, I slip in the jumper and power up. So it starts to boot but then I immediately get a BSOD giving me info I've never seen before. I can't really remember everything it said. I power down and recheck the jumpers... this time with a flashlight. Turns out there was already a black jumper (i couldn't see) on the master setting and the one I added to slave. Yes 2 jumpers, one drive. So now I have no accessible cd-roms. Bios see's it, Windows doesn't. There's the little yellow exclamation in my device manager for both primary and secondary ide controllers. Under the performance tab it says
"Compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system performance"
"Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system"

I checked around DriverGuide.com and Asus... nothing.
Anyone know how to fix this?

Win98se
AMD 2ghz Asus A7N266-VM
256MB DDR RAM
Nvidia Geforce2
EMu APS
WD 20g HD (C: )
Maxtor 40g (would be D: but it has it's own problems and isn't connected, will discuss another day)
Creative 52X cd-rom (should be E: )
Pacific digital 24x10x40x (not connected, conflicts with dvd-rom)
HiVal 16x Dvdrom (should be D: )

*lesson learned... ALWAYS use a flashlight and NEVER black jumpers*

Thanks for replying... I was starting to worry that I smelled bad or sumtin.

page is not available

YAY! It's fixed. All I had to do was delete the NOIDE value in the registry editor and after restarting it initializes the protected-mode driver for the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom