Icons missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lh47555

Solid State Member
iconprob.png

As you can see in the above image, icons from several programs are missing, including Office 2010, Windows Live, and Steam.
The second image is after I reinstalled Windows in an attempt to fix the problem.
The programs still work fine, its just that the icons are missing.
Any help would be appreciated:D

Note: OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Have you tried a repair of Office? It is under the Office Tools area. Have you tried to rebuild your Icon Cache? Have you tried to reassign the Icon manually?

I have tried rebuilding icon cache, and reinstalling office, and reinstalling Windows, but the icons disappear a day after reinstalling Windows and Office.

Try this..

Merge into the registry

http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnkfix_vista.zip

Works on 7 as well.

Or try this

In regedit: Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications and find your .exe name.
Navigate under its name to shell>open>command. In the Default change its location to the actual location of the executable, hit okay and then try and reassociate the file type as you normally would.

If that doesnt work, have you tried creating a new profile and see if the icons still arent associated with the correct program?

Thanks for all the help so far
Unfortunately, the registry tweaks didn't do anything, and created a new user account and found out that the icons there were also missing.

Just saying, since it's not Office alone (because you mentioned Steam and Windows Live) and even when you reinstalled Windows it happens...may be your copy of the Windows CD is faulty? When you said you reinstall, you meant a fresh reinstall right?

I meant a fresh reinstall, yes. However, this problem doesn't arise immediately after install, it only starts a day or two afterward, so would that still be a problem with the Windows installation?

None, I installed all my programs on the first day, and two days after that the problem started.

None, I installed all my programs on the first day, and two days after that the problem started.
Well I'm not sure exactly, I would say it's a faulty OS or maybe 1 of the software is faulty?
You said you did a fresh install...which means everything was erased and written over; and the problem still persists, which means it has to be something from installation to the first few days which would lead to either your OS or your software. Apart from MS Office, Steam and Live...do you install any other software within the few days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom