IBM PC with two HDs and IDs concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

In Runtime
At work I have got IBM PCs (more than one) with two HDs on each Machine

When I tried to install the windows (during installation) I found these information:

First Disk 38 GB on Id0 bus 0 ,,,I could not catch the rest of the line.

Second Disk 38 GB on Id1 bus 0,,,,I could not catch the rest of the line.

I know that a primary IDE is numbered 0 and secondary IDE is numbered 1,,,what does the id numbe here for ?
Is it the number for nearset HD to IDE ?

The two devices are correctly referred to as device 0 (master) and device 1 (slave), respectively. This is the standard protocol for for the Advanced Technology attachment (ATA) and Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE). Drives are connected via IDE bus 0 (usulally hardrives) and IDE bus 1 (usually CDroms and DVDroms et al).:p

The exact message (I checked it again) were:

38613 MB Disk 0 at Id0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

38613 MB Disk 0 at Id1 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

Both disk were 0 (not 1),,,,and Id for first line is 0 ,,Id for second line is 1

They are both on bus 0 and are properly designated. This message is just telling you you have a master and slave on IDE bus 0. It's good. Your CDroms etc will be found on IDE bus 1 and dsignated as 0 and 1 accordingly. I presume, that when you look in My Computer youwill see the hard drives listed as C: And D: etc. Right??

They are both on bus 0
That is clear to me

and are properly designated
I did not get this ?

This message is just telling you you have a master and slave on IDE bus 0

I knew that :Id0 and Id1 are refere to master and slave.

But why have both (not only one) disks got number 0 (Disk 0 ,,I do not mean Id0) ? here my confusion.

I presume, that when you look in My Computer youwill see the hard drives listed as C: And D: etc. Right??
I will check it and late you know,,,right now I am at home (not at work)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom