I want to retrieve an icon from a *.exe file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostenismos

Beta member
Hi,

Some files.exe have interesting an interesting icon: but it seems impossible to get the icon without the whole lot (the exe file attached to it). How can I do it?

I'm using XP.

Althorn

I just reference the .exe as long as it's stored locally. You can change any icon to reference another icon. if it's stored somewhere else, I copy the entire .exe and then point to it for the icon.

T1junkie said:
you could always print screen the icon and crop the Icon in the picture

The problem with that is after you've cropped the picture, you have to then make sure it's saved in the correct size 16x16 or 32x32 pixels and save it in a *.ico format. Yes it's possible but not without some hassle. The easiest way is to install a icon extracting proggie like the one posted by EkSine. I've used several in the past w/out a problem.

I am suprised no one had mentioned that you can create a new folder, and right-click it, then go to properties, and hit the customise tab. once you do that you can change it's Icon to one used by any other file on your HD. you can also do this to shortcuts.if you need to use the icon on a different type of file however you would have to use a different method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom