I want to install XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan11

Solid State Member
Recently my harddrive stop working and I went and got a new one.
and replaced the old one..

Now, My problem is that I don't have a recover disk for my IBM intelli station.. How can I install XP on the New hard drive?

What will I need?
I have XP upgrade.. Do i have to get the full copy?
will this work

Thanks
Ryan.

r u indonesian?

this has nothing to do with his question....PM Ryan if you have an off-his-topic question like this. thanks.
--jak

You can install from the upgrade, if you have a previous version of windows, like a 98 or 2000 cd. install from the cd and windows will prompt you for a previous version , throw in your old cd and youre all set.

Actually, I don't have any OS on the hard drive..
So I doubt that I could use an XP update.

But I probably can get my hands on XP pro full.
but how do i install it on my drive C? ( which is completely empty)

make your CD bootable before the HDD in the BIOS. Insert XP CD and start computer.
First step will be to format your HDD. Select full format in order to check every location (takes longer but will isolate bad locations on HDD)
You just follow the prompts to install XP and you can partition your disk if you want. You will have the option between 2 formats, fat32 or NTFS. Fat32 is restricted in size while NTFS is not.

IAM_7154 said:
You can install from the upgrade, if you have a previous version of windows, like a 98 or 2000 cd. install from the cd and windows will prompt you for a previous version , throw in your old cd and youre all set.

Ohhhh, so that how the upgrade CD works. I def. want Windows XP now. I want it so that I can use StyleXP.

-Dan The Man

zerozero - He cannot install XP from his disk. It's an upgrade disk, not the full version. Doesn't matter how he sets things up to boot, it ain't gonna happen.

ryan/OIDanTheManIO - He can upgrade an older version of Windows to XP, but there are restrictions on how far back you can do this. To my knowledge, XP will only upgrade from 2000SP4.

thanks guys..

How to i get to BOIS?
is that when i hit (F2) and goto advance?

also, ShoobieRat.. Will it work if i have a full XP

If you have the full version of XP...why would you need the XP upgrade? :freak:

If you had the full version of XP, you wouldn't have any problems installing to a fresh system. Just boot from the CD-ROM and the Windows CD will take care of everything.

ShoobieRat said:
zerozero - He cannot install XP from his disk. It's an upgrade disk, not the full version. Doesn't matter how he sets things up to boot, it ain't gonna happen.

ryan/OIDanTheManIO - He can upgrade an older version of Windows to XP, but there are restrictions on how far back you can do this. To my knowledge, XP will only upgrade from 2000SP4.

Oh, well either way, I still have 2k SP4 so either way it will still work.

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom