I think a neighbour(or someone) is hacking into my computer

I'd go as far as hiding the SSID... it should just be a click option in the router menu.

Agreed hiding would probably be better. OP mentioned there were only like 5 SSID's in the area.. if only 1 changes and the other 4 remain the same... kinda obvious what happened.

Hi, thanks for replies
Have changed stuff as recommended. But before I did, I logged into my belkin page 192.168.2.1, and I clicked on the LAN SET UP LAN DHCPC Client List tab. This shows three columns = IP addresses, Host name and Mac address. The two IP addresses were 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3. The Host Name next to these IP's are both the same as my Windows Username (used to log into Windows), and two different mac addresses next to this was shown. Now, when I exit this and click on the wireless section tab on the left column (on the belkin page), the mac address it shows is different to the two in the DHCPC Client List tab - note, as mentioned previously, the mac address in the wireless section tab has been changed by myself a lot as I used to lose internet connection. Would anyone be able to tell me from this information if these are my IP and mac addresses or someone elses logging in (note - in the several times prior when internet connection was lost, I have to set up the wireless again using the ethernet cable connected to the computer, modem and router at the same time (i.e non wireless), so perhaps these IP and Mac addresses are mine or belkin's, or I may have created an extra network connection when setting up the router again which may have caused this (but only one wireless connection icon is showing in the network connections - accessed through the control panel on windows,) - I have no idea. Any views from the information given, if it shows access or non acccess to my PC.

As mentioned, I also don't understand how previously, my wireless SSID was showing when I clicked on the internet bars in the bottom right corner, yet I deleted this SSID from the 'manage wireless connections' (accessed through the control panel).

Another point to note, on the neighbours/other person's SSID shown in the bottom right of the screen, their internet connection is always 2 or 3 bars - no more. When I had to set up belkin wireless connection again (using non wireless, so all cables are connected to computer, modem and router at same time), my non wireless connection shoots up to five tabs (as I am using my non wireless SSID), presumably because all the wires are connected to make better connection. However, their wireless internet SSID connection shoots up to 5 tabs too when I look at the SSID'S in the bottom right corner.

As mentioned, I also don't understand how previously, my wireless SSID was showing when I clicked on the internet bars in the bottom right corner, yet I deleted this SSID from the 'manage wireless connections' (accessed through the control panel).

That only removes the profile from your computer; that doesn't "delete" the network from being broadcasted. That has to be done on the router's page (192.168.1.1).

Back
Top Bottom