I screwed up. help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester73440

Baseband Member
ok i run windows 2k. well i tried to install windows xp in a partition. well everything was working fine. Until the windows disk had a missing file. well the computer kept making me choose between windows 2k and the courrpt xp set up. while trying to get cp off some how my windows 2k lost the "winnt\system32\config\system" file. so i barrowed a good copy of xp and got that on here. i tried just copying the file and pasting it in the win2k file but i accidently copied the whole system 32 file from xp and pasted over the 2k file. i do not have my original 2k. is there any way to fix it? can i get the system 32 file from somewhere and overwrite it.

2nd how do i delete operating system? at the start of my computer i have choices of xp, xp set up,xp set up and 2k. where do i go to delete 2nd and 3rd o/s?

thanks in advance help i didn't leave anything out

back your files up now and then reinstall windows. on the partition screen, hit d on each partition to delete them. then hit c to create new one(s). make sure to install xp on the top one or it won't be a c drive

but i do not see seperate partitions for each os. all i see is the one i created for xp and the one with windows 2k on it. do i have to put xp on top? i want 2k to be my primary os

you might have put them in the same partition. that's not a good thing to do

well the xp i have working and win 2k are in seperate partitions i know that for sure. but there are 3 windows xp o/s on there in the set up stages i do not know which partition these are in or where to delete them from. anyone know where to get win 2k pro i can find any place selling it.

start run, type msconfig. on boot.ini tab, check all boot path and remove the invalid one

thanks that helped. there is still one that says it is valad so it won't let me remove. but it is only a set up file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom