I need to repair or reinstall windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossChase

Baseband Member
Sup guys i'm trying to get my old pc up and running again.

I lost a dill file and windows stoped loading. Do you know where I can get a repair cd or are there other options I need to look into.

I have seen all kinds of boot disks on line.

Your Windows XP install disk (if you have it) should be bootable and will work as a repair disk.

Hello,

What is the DLL you are missing? You could just try to replace that single DLL to get your system working again without having to go thru the whole process of reinstall or repair.

But as Canooten stated a XP CD would be needed for either of those options. A boot disk will not help. If you know the DLL you can check online for that file. There is a site

DLL-files.com - Download all your missing dll-files.

Where you could possibly find it and just replace that single file. Let me know what it is and i will give you instructions on how to replace it if you can.

Cheers,
Mak

its the Hal.dll

i'll look for it and read the sticky

i just need to find out how to get it installed onto the pc

Hal.dll is missing or corrupt

Windows\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

This means the ARC paths in the [operating systems] section or the default entry in BOOT.INI is incorrect. Double-check that multi() and disk() are both set to 0, and verify that rdisk(x)partition points to the correct partition where Windows XP is installed. Instructions on the correct configuration of boot.ini can be found here.

Do you know what Fkey I need to push to get into the menu that allows me to change this? or is it where I have to rebuild the boot.ini file?

Code:
[boot loader] 
timeout=30 
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS 
[operating systems] 
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Is the code that the guide provides for me to build off of but my pc only has 1 drives the hard drive and the cd drive that that would be rdisk(0) right?

The partition is a c drive and a d drive windows is installed on the c parition so that would also be partition(1) right?

Thanks so much for all the help and advice!

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.

F12 would be the F key needed to bring up the boot menu. Also according to the information you gave. Yes rdisk(0) and partition(1) would be right.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom