I need a media server OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I want this computer to be able to access all my other computer's media. I also want it to have something like a media center interface or at the very least be a third party app like windvd or media portal.

I'm sick of the xp media center look (I'm 4-5 years into that) and I'm tired of vista unreliability. I wanted to try server 2008, yet I can't find driver to even make that work. I'm open to Linux if it has a user friendly version that's like media center

Well if you are just looking to share your media from one computer to another then I think there are a couple programs you could try before going for a complete OS....Have you tried using Windows Media Player 11? You can use that to stream your media from one computer to another via your local area network....or you could even try Nero...I know they have something that does the same thing...

Server 08 doesnt have the MCE part. So that wouldnt work for you. Ubuntu/Kubuntu could do it.

Ubuntu:Hardy -

There is the Wiki part on how to work with LinuxMCE.

I will install it and see for ya mate. I will even take some screenshots.

I will install it and see for ya mate. I will even take some screenshots.

thanks. I'm downloading the dual layer one now (it's taking a long time). I will try it on a virtual machine too. thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom