I need help formating my Windows XP Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamhm182

Solid State Member
ok, I have XP Professional, but I screwed it up real bad and I borrowed the disk from a friend and had to return it, than the friend moved and my computer got screwed up, so I bought a Windows 98 SE disk and it won't let me format the XP Professional and put 98 SE on it, I'm pretty sure that I could get it if I could figure out how to get the thing to start in MS-DOS mode, but it won't let me.click here to email me, cuz I won't be on for much longer

oh yeah, and I've tryed the command prompt format c: and safe mode, neither one of those is working for me I'd really apreciate your help on this, thanks

Windows will not let you downgrade. You have to somehow format the drive first and then install windows. Find another computer with a floppy disk and format it as a bootable disk. Copy the format.exe file and boot your computer using that disk.

how do you do that, we've been trying, but it's not working, it says the volume is still in use or something when I try the format c: in the command prompt

If you are using XP do the following:

Insert your XP disc and remove the partition that has your XP install in it. Be careful not to delete your current partitions.

Without a partition now, you can use the FDisk method instead to install your Windows 98 SE. =D

oh, and I don't have the XP disk "I borrowed the disk from a friend and had to return it, than the friend moved and my computer got screwed up"so how can I do it w/o haveing to have the XP disk???

you can do it with xp installed. get partiton magic. make another partition. then go through the install another OS setup with PM. it will hide the xp partition and send you to a blank one. install windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom