I need advice regarding my pagefile - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: I need advice regarding my pagefile

xp needs a pagefile to function correctly and by having no page file does it now force xp to use your 2 gigs ram, xp's memory management cannot do that, don't think vistas can either but I'm sure it wouldn't take long to look up.

if you have 2 hard drives the pagefile should be on the drive that doesn't contain your windows installation, apps & games.

Virtual Memory in Windows XP

Tech ARP - Virtual Memory Optimization Guide Rev. 4.1

TweakGuides.com

Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

my answer to all these theorys:

If you don't notice much difference then don't worry about it.

Just try them and see if you notice a diff.. you probably wont

Old 06-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

That I can agree with along with what EricB was mentioning earlier with simply setting the recommended amount. With the paging file set for the 4gb or so or simply having it disabled hasn't made any difference here performance wise with 2gb of memory installed. With more then one larger Linux distro you often see those share one swap partition for the virtual memory seen there.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

assuming your a gamer, why give up performance? the tweakguides site i linked will show you how in less than 5 minutes time.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawg View Post
xp needs a pagefile to function correctly
My XP works fine. No problems at all. It takes a lot to fill up 2GB's of RAM. The only time it happens to me is when using Prime95 (blend), which uses about 1,5GB.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

I run a variety of games here and currently have the paging file disabled and have found no difference performance wise. I've noticed on one older game that taking the first screen shot now sees the game freeze up for 3-4min.! With the Windows recommended and managed amount of 4gb for the 2gb installed those locks never happen. The new paging file will be on the OS drive like was before.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

guys i know it takes a lot to fill up 2 gigs ram and its logical to assume w/o a paging file xp will just use your 2 gigs ram, but xp memory management in fact does not work that way and the links I posted are legitimate sources that will go over it for you. if it works for you then great, but anyone taking that advice be warned that it hinders performance.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Techie

Having gone from no paging file to a 3.5gb minimum and 4.1gb max custom creation no difference was seen. With certain games or softwares you might notice a difference. But it doesn't apply in all circumstances.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

guys this is a tip that will improve your systems performance. this is one of a thousand. now when you implement these tips, you won't notice a difference on any of them except when you have a low end system. but if you do all of them together, you will notice a difference. when xp came out, a top of the line system was a 1.7 gig processor with 256mb of ram. that's a slow system now. most of these tweak tips were designed for this type of system

this is a tweak guide for sound engineers. but it will speed up every version of xp, but you won't notice much difference using just 1 tip

MusicXP.net - Tuning Windows XP for Audio/Music Applications
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Techie

Most of that stuf is already done here except recommending disabling the system restore feature for one. For many users that could be disasterous if it becomes necessary to restore Windows often due to a bad install of some new program. Autoupdates is already disabled here since a periodic trip to the MS update page takes care of that. And in the earlier XP days you would 512mb of memory or more on custom builds. Prebuilds would see 128mb to 256mb there. I ran 1gb of ram with 98 with a simple tweak in the autoexec.bat file by adding one line in there.

Closed Thread