I installed two copies of XP Pro, how do I remove one copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone! Tech Forums rock!

Well, here is my dilemma...

I installed XP Pro twice, and now each time it boots up it asks me which copy to use....

I really only want one copy of XP pro on the computer. How can I solve this issue?

Thanks,

Freddy

Did you install the other XP Pro without reformatting? If you did, then I'd try reformatting your hard drive to erase the previous versions of XP.

Hello,

Did you install it to the same folder? Meaning the Windows folder for both? If so you should see a Windows.old folder which contains the old files. Delete that. If not delete one of the 2 Windows folders you have.

The do this:

• Start
  • Run
  • msconfig

There shoose the Boot.ini tab and check all boot paths. After you remove the folder it should remove one of the entries.

Cheers,
Mak

Did you install the other XP Pro without reformatting? If you did, then I'd try reformatting your hard drive to erase the previous versions of XP.

Direland,

I became all mixed up as I began to install the XP Pro. I only formatted the first portion of the HD [100gbs] and forgot to format the second portion. Then when I attempted to format the second part of the HD, XP Pro automatically installed itself on the second half of the HD.

Finally, when I attempted to reformat the entire HD, now the system only shows 131 gigs out of the initial 200 gigs.

So, to be honest with you, I am now more lost and confused than before I began...

Ouch!

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Can anyone help me understand how to recapture the entire HD?

It's me,

Very, very, confused Freddy

Hello,

Did you install it to the same folder? Meaning the Windows folder for both? If so you should see a Windows.old folder which contains the old files. Delete that. If not delete one of the 2 Windows folders you have.

The do this:

• Start
  • Run
  • msconfig

There shoose the Boot.ini tab and check all boot paths. After you remove the folder it should remove one of the entries.

Cheers,
Mak

Mak,

You rock!

Thanks!

I did seem to lose of misplace almost half of my HD in the process somewhere along the way.

Have you any idea how I might recapture all of my HD?

[I had 200 gigs when I started, now when I attempt to reformat, the system only shows 131 gigs.

It's me, confused

Freddy

Hello,

Can you please take a screenshot of your Disk Management Screen.

• Start
  • Right Click on My Computer
  • Manage
  • Disk Management on the left hand side

Use Imageshack or Photobucket to host the image and place it within IMG Tags.

Cheers,
Mak

You could try out the GParted LiveCD. When you boot to it, it will show you your hard drive. You might find that either there is some unused space, or the missing space was somehow partitioned separately. If the space is unused, you'll be able to grow your Windows partition to use that space. If the space is partitioned, you can delete that partition, then grow your Windows partition.

Or you can create and format any partition you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom