Status
Not open for further replies.

amethystangel

Beta member
PC stats:

* Year 2004
* Intel Pentium IV 3.2Ghz
* 1024mb RAM

Warning: I am clueless about PCs when it comes to hardware etc (despite the fact that I got an IT degree!)

Okay, the story is my C: drive (80gigs) is stuffed, something to do with the registry. So I got a second HDD (250gigs) which is now my D:drive. However, my friend that installed the second HDD, had to install Windows on it to be able to make it work (?) I've also been told I need a full version of Windows, I only have an upgrade version. Does this make a difference?

1) I want to be able to access both HDD from one Windows. I want the new HDD to be C:drive.

2) I also will need to reformat the current C:drive.

So I need to know how to do 1 & 2 above. :confused:

Please help! I want to be able to play WoW again without my PC rebooting itself everytime I dieee!!! :p

Ok, that can easily be fixed. You do infact need a full copy of windows XP but then just start up windows xp and wipe out both Hd's. Then just move your second one to the master setup if you are using IDE and then reinstall windows on the HD that you want to be master.

Can I just reformat one HDD at a time? Like I make the new HDD the C:\ and what I have got on there, transfer to the old HDD. Then reformat the new HDD, install Windows on it. Then transfer all the files from old HDD to new HDD and then reformat old HDD...

Will this work?

if you're wanting to keep the files on the old hard drive (C:\), boot off the 80GB hard drive but make sure the new hard drive (the 250GB) is sett as a slave. Open my computer and right click on the new drive and click format (you can do a quick format if you want). Once it is done formatting copy everything over (that you want to keep) form your old hard drive to the new then have your freind reinstall XP on the old drive.

That way you'll have all teh stuff you wanted on the old drive on the new drive and have a clean install of XP on the old drive.

COD2_fanatic said:
if you're wanting to keep the files on the old hard drive (C:\), boot off the 80GB hard drive but make sure the new hard drive (the 250GB) is sett as a slave. Open my computer and right click on the new drive and click format (you can do a quick format if you want). Once it is done formatting copy everything over (that you want to keep) form your old hard drive to the new then have your freind reinstall XP on the old drive.

That way you'll have all teh stuff you wanted on the old drive on the new drive and have a clean install of XP on the old drive.

let take this one step further

after you wipe the second hdd (which should be slave and not master). hit start, run. now right click my documents and select properties. hit move. now move your documents to your second drive. when it' ask you do you want to move the files, select yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom