I give up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2004, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Thumbs down I give up

My computer keeps opening a dos window while I am on it. I have run Ad Aware and have McAfee and it says there are no viruses. I have also run Spybot and done the critical updates from microsoft. I give up on what to do next. Any suggestions

Old 05-08-2004, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

can you give more details?

So, your on your PC, doing what ever... and presto... a dos windows just appears?

Does it happen in "any program" your using on the PC? or only certain ones?

What OS are you using? Have you installed anything lately? How long has then been happening?

Hopefully, we can help you fix the problem.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Reply to virus

I have run Ad Aware and Spybot. I have Norton Antivirus installed and it won't allow Live update. I installed Norton for Life(Corporate version) and it still wouldn't allow live update.

Haven't installed anything lately except Norton
When I log in a Dos window appears and Window Media Player opens. Takes awhile to exit out of Dos window. I cant close Media Player so I have to end it within Task Manager.

Internet Explorer favorites. It opens them but won't allow to click on links to go further.

I can read and reply an e-mail but can't forward and can't click on Address Book. It freezes the program and have to end in Task Manager.

Thanks and I really appreciate it.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What does the Dos windows say? Is there a title on it?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

if it wont allow Norton to update then you definately have a virus/Trojan of some nature.You`ll have to do some research to find out when you may have gotten infected.Like all virus`s there is a time and date of contact/execution. You can iether try and find the source dispose of it etc.. or do a clean OS install .
Depending on the sophistication you may have to clear CMOS as well .I recomend it reguardless , good luck .
Thermaltake Armor A90
Corsair HX1000W PS
i7 2600k / Cooler Master Hyper N 520
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans
Old 05-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Soloman02

you stated you have mcafee, did mcafee update? also, search around on the web for a free online virus scan, that may help you find the virus (if there is one)

ok, since i have no life here is a link to one:

Desktop specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+@ 200x11 - EPoX 8rda3I - Thermaltake 420watt silent PSU - 2x512MB PNY PC3200(DualChannel) - TT HSF - PNY 5900SE, 128MB DDR, 256-bit - - Toshiba SD-R5002: DVD-RW - NEC DVD-RW - 2 Antec 80mm fans - 1 Delta 92mm fan - 1 Antec 120mm fan- 1 TT 120mm fan - Windows XP Pro - WD special edition 80GB 7200 RPM- Seagate 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache - Onboard Sound - Onboard Ethernet

Notebook specs:
ACER Travel Mmate 4000LCi - Intel Pentium M 710 - 15\" XGA TFT - 512MB DDR333 - 40 GB HD - DVD-rom/CD-RW Drive - WLAN 802.11b/g - Winxp Home - Intel Extreme Graphics - Average Battery Life: 4-5 hours - 6.4 lbs
Old 05-08-2004, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I use an antivirus program called Antivir Persional Edition, I found it to detect more viruses than Norton, it is also very fast, light on resources and free!
also, Norton and a lot of other antivirus progs are recognized by the OS and a lot of programs as an antivirus prgram, because it is from a big company, so a lot of viruses target it. Antivir doesn't do this, so it is not a target to viruses.

you said it comes up on logon/boot, so you might be able to find the .exe or .bat file that's causing this by going to start, run, regedit, then going to "HK Current User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run " see if there are any suspicious programs in the list, and delete at will. this directory is the list of all the progs that come up on boot, and displays the path. I find using the registry rather than Msconfig is better
Old 05-09-2004, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

do an online virus scan at sarc.com or trendmicro.com. Also check the system configuration tool, type msconfig at run prompt. check the startup items.
A+, Network+, and powerpoint certified

Studying Linux+
Old 05-09-2004, 04:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

Yep as stated above I would run the MSCONFIG tool then deselect all startup items and reboot. If the problem is gone then you know something that is starting with windows is causing this error. You can then check only the items you need to open with windows startup such as virus scan.

Closed Thread