I cant install programs..

Battal Gazi

In Runtime
Hello. I am having hard times for a few months.

Until yesterday i could not install any programs, yesterday i opened advanced system care and made solving "known problems" and it repaired msiexe i think then now i can install some programs but for example i cant insstall java or facebook chat plugin. I click them and they are about to open but then lost. I put my webcam driver cd, i hit install and it opens a new window and waits there. Before yesterday, when i hit install in this cd, it showed errror 1601, cant install any thing, encountered an error. It was like that.

So now, i dont know what is this problem. I am trying to repair, defragging, optimizing but still same. How can i fix this?

And when i open windows, it gives error " skipping auto check" after windows loading. What is that?

And after loading my desktop, i cant click icons on tray, i should wait for a minute to be able to click on that icons.

Please help me to fix. I tried aso , register reviver etc butstill coul dnot solve. I made chkdsk too.

I am waiting your answer..

Try running a chkdsk with the /f /r flags. Open up a command prompt (run as Admin if you're on Vista or Win7), and type in the following:

chkdsk c: /f /r

Press enter, and it will say it cannot lock the current drive. It will ask to run on next restart; type in Y and press Enter. Reboot the computer. Let it run.

If it boots and says "Volume is clean, skippping" or something like that, just run the command again and restart again. It should go through and start checking the drive and fix any disk issues.

After that, if it's still having issues, open up a command prompt (again, run as admin if you're on Vista or WIn7), and type in:

sfc /scannow

And press enter.

Hello. My pc has win xp home edition service pack 3

Ä° did chckdsk just now, it complteded 5/5 but afetr it when pc was booting, again showed "skipping autocheck, file not found".

And i have tried now sfcscannow but it wanted from me xp professional service pack 2. My os is xp home edition, not professional. So i put all my cds,xp sp2 pro, xp sp2 home edition but it did not accept.

The Windows XP System File Checker (SFC) does require the installation media against which it will check the originally installed files. The issue you've described seems to be that the installation media is of an earlier service pack and therefore SFC is unable to find source files to check the service pack files. You can either use a Windows XP disk with SP3 integrated to proceed, or you can modify the registry as outlined in Method 2 in this Microsoft Support Article to point SFC to the service pack files inside the Windows directory.

Likewise you may also be experiencing the issue described in KB 987128, where certain files may have an improper source media description. The article also provides the workaround, the explanation of how to modify the files in order to correctly identify the operating system.

There is a quick access point to search for Microsoft resources on the Springboard Site on TechNet at the Desktop Support and Troubleshooting page, a search which allows you to search for specific keywords or error codes and limit your results to the Knowledge Base, Events and Errors, and the TechNet library.

I second carnageX's recommendation to check the hard disk though, as there may underlying issues which have caused the errors you are experiencing and the issue with SFC.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
ı tried to repair but i couldnot see a repair option which i always saw before. And when i try to do sfc svannow, it wants xp professional but i have home edition installed?

Back
Top Bottom