I can't get IIS working

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyDUDE

Beta member
As a student I have been using PWS on 98 at my college where my ASP website works perfectly. However when I try to get the site working on my home PC it refuses to work. I've got XP so I'm using IIS 5.1. I've tried every setting I think might be relevant form messing with the IP address to the folder where the website is stored. But I still cannot get the damn thing to work.

I've actually got an ASP book detailing IIS for NT4 but it doesn't seem relevant to the new version which looks completely different.

Can anyone help me or point me to a decent guide? The MS site is useless.

hi,
well you need to publish the webpages onto the IIS . set the index file as the default and then try to use it ....
if you have problem check for the server name correctly .. go to the administrative tools and try changing the name of the webserver .. hope it wil work...
i too have made project with asp earlier on XP.. so check and reply..
:cool:

I've put all the files into the inetpub\wwwroot folder and then typeing the computer name in the web browser brings up the following...

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with a program on the page you are trying to reach, and the page cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the computer home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden
Internet Information Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Background:
You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

More information:
Microsoft Support

... where are the admin tools?

hi,
well you need to publish the files in the required folder.. simply copying the files won't help you... first you need to have web publishing wizard and then publish the files.
are you using ACCESS or SQL document as the database file... ??
admin tools are in control panel (performance and maintenance )and you have the IIS panel in the admin tools ...
check for the name of the server and then reply...
eg: change name for web server and then open the default page and check your files... don't type the folder path name .... it won't open asp pages ....
try it first !!

Thanks for your help.

But this doesn't seem to be working at all. None of the web publishing wizard options work, due to a server error.

I'm using an access file as the database.

To be honest I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be doing to get this working.

I could do with a step by step guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom