I cannot install window updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdang24

Beta member
I cannot install any of window updates. I visit Microsoft and it says that the issue can be fixed with SP2. But my computer has the newest version of SP2.
Ram: 1.5GB

Thanks for any help.

If Windows isn't activated you won''t be able to download anything from the update site. Once activated the verification now has to be used first to see the updates then available after it confirms the installation on both XP and Vista.

Turn on or off your firewall? Have you gotten SP2c? that is the most current version. SP2 has had several updates since it release. They are now on version c. So you might not be up to date.

Timeline and Versions for SP2c Release
SP2c will be released into the System Builder channel in September to provide system builders with a new, extended range of product keys that will ship with:

Windows XP Professional (except for Simplified Chinese, Russian and Korean languages)
Windows XP Professional N
This release does not impact the following versions:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64-bit Edition
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2c RTM » D' Technology Weblog: Technology News & Reviews

Which edition of XP are you running there? The beta release is strictly for the 32bit version of XP Pro not Home, MCE, Tablet, or 64bit editions.

1. Window is already activated.
2. I used to download updates automaticly before no matter firewall is on/off. But to be sure I turn it off but the issue doesn't fix.
3. Isn't it SP2c will automaticly download if I turn on "automaticly updates"? Otherwise I will look & download SP2c.
4. I have Window XP professtional 32bit edition.

Thanks for your helps and any further. Greatly appreciate!

The so called SP2c is actually a beta release for SP3 due out sometime whenever MS decides to pay attention to XP again. Vista's SP1 is due out in November while XP users are still waiting around forever for the next service pack.

But with Windows already activated one thing you could try would be to use the custom option at the update site to manually uncheck some to see others like Net Framework 3.0 go on and whatever individual security updates along with that and the 1.0 and 2.0 updates you can download without fuss.

Whatelse besides the Windows firewall do you have running? It sounds like you still have something like an IE protection program running in the background blocking things. How about the security settings in Outlook Express? The "don't allow files to be downloaded that could contain a virus" option will block manual downloads as well as automatic updates at times.

SP2c is not the SP3 beta. The SP3 beta is the SP3 beta. It is fully labeled as SP3 and everything.

Funny someone said it was only for XP Pro and MCE. Considering i am RUNNING MCE with SP3 INSTALLED. I woudl say that is wrong.

For proof i offer my winver and system properties:

843922.jpg

Sorry must be because of all the MVP work that i am doing that i thought of SP2c for regular users.

I cant remember the Site but i know there are sties out there where you can get all the Updates from.

When MS releases the finished service pack it will be for all three 32bit editions of XP namely SP3. What you ran into there is simply a developers service pack and not the general release.

When having to install XP fresh on the new build here as well as Vista I noted the SP3 reference on several updates right on the update site. Those will be part of what will be seen in the SP3 as well as IE 7.

You dont seem to get it. Let me explain it this way. I am in the SP3 BETA. I got it from Connect download the package and installed it. There was over 1,000 hotfixes in it. I have a uninstaller for it. My desktop watermark says XP SP3 build 3205.

XP SP3 Build 3205 - Google Search

There is a Google search for all the news articles referencing XP SP3 Beta. It isnt just a couple hotfixes. It isnt jsut a reference on several updates. It is the WHOLE THING.

You didn't follow me at all there. I said that you can see the reference to SP3 when looking at the list of updates when going for them at the MS update site. SP2 was 266mb in size and I expect SP3 will also be as large after this amount of time. You can still find SP2 if you need it at the links here. But that puts IE 6 back on if you are updated to IE 7.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals
Download Windows XP Service Pack 2: XP SP2 (Full package)

SP3 will also feature a range of items previously available as standalone downloads including: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.5; IPsec Simple Policy Update; Microsoft Core XML Services 6.0; Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 3.0; Digital Identity Management Service (DIMS); Peer Name Resolution Protocol 2.1; Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) 2 and Windows Installer 3.1 v2. So it is obvious that SP3 won't turn XP into Vista, but as far as end users are concerned, this is nothing short of a positive aspect.

Microsoft has now opened Windows XP SP3 Beta Preview Build 3205 to over 12,000 Windows Vista SP1 beta and Windows Server 2008 testers. The build has also been leaked to peer-to-peer file sharing networks, and Microsoft is preparing a public beta of the service pack. Windows XP Service Pack 3 - Will it turn XP into Vista? - Softpedia

Additional information is seen at Microsoft Is Cooking the Public Beta of Windows XP SP3 - But offers no release date so far - Softpedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom