I can not install SP1 or any stand alone .msu files for Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeodd2

Baseband Member
It would seem that I can't install .msu files. I have Automatic Updates on, and I have all my hotfix files installed from Automatic Updates. But it seems that I can't install stand alone files that I download.

I am running Vista Ultimate
Core 2 duo 3.0 ghz cpu
2 gigs of ram
Nvidia 780i SLI MB
2 Nvidia Geforce 8800gs video cards SLI config
1 main IDE drive 300 gb total
2 SATA Data storage drives 2 TB total

With The System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821), it does get to the installation screen, however it takes a long time to install and the progress bar never moves. After it says installation complete, I check Windows Updates and view the update history. It shows KB947821 as being installed successfully. But as I understand it, the program should automatically start scanning my system as soon as installation completes. Furthermore, when I check Installed Updates, it does not show up.

With the Pre-Requisite updates (KB937287), (KB938371), and (KBKB935509) they all say "The update does not apply to your system" after the checking for updates screen.

As for the SP1 stand alone package itself. It will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour, before it gives me error message 0x80070002.

I've tried using command line to extract the .msu file and execute it. I get a "invalid parameter" error.

I've done a "clean boot" of my system, only enabling system files to load during start up, and still the same result.

I've run svc /scannow and even found the 1 corrupt file (msjetoledb40.dll) located in my system32 folder. I've tried to replace the file through the command line interface with no success.

I've tried to do a repair installation using my vista disk, but I get an error message 0x00745d during installation.

I've run CHKDSK.

Ran spyware, adware, and antivirus scans

Ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool.

So far I can't find an explanation as to why I can install stand alone updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom