I Am Exposed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assassin

Baseband Member
I woke up this morning and found that upon LEFT clicking my C drive I was able to view its contents. Because of security reasons the C drive is only obtainable by right clicking and choosing the EXPLORE option [My OS is Windows XP]. With this in mind two questions arise...#1. was my machine hacked/probed from the outside?? #2. What do I have to do to hide my C drive? Any help would be appreciated

FYI -I ran a search at Microcheese but I believe I am not entering the right information in the search box to return any helpful results...Which brings me here..

to hide your C drive right click on it and go to sharing and security there you will have the option to hide your C drive..

And are you on a network with other computer and do you have a firewall or anti-virus soft ware if you don't go to www.housecall.antivirus.com scan your computer then if you don't have a firewall put up the MS firewall the will give you some temp security untill you obtain something for you computer

m3z.....

I already tried your suggestion on hiding the c drive in the sharing and security option but the field to hide the folder is not available [it's greyed out]...As I speak I am running my AV FYI...

they way to do that is log out of your user account hit ctrl+alt+del and then type in administrator if you don't know the password there isn't one then see fi you can hide your drive that way

Okay....I knew it was going to be too easy....for some reason I cannot get past the admin option...I have used every password I can think of...still cannot get in....where does that leave me now??? Is there something in/on the Win XP disc that will allow me to change/modify my admin password etc?? This is a home pc...not a work pc FYI....My AV is still running.....also, I have two pcs...they are on a network..and wouldn't you know but the other has the same problem where the c drive is exposed...damn!!! I guess the next thing for me to get is a chastity belt for the darn pc...anyway...I am still up a creek without a paddle....:mad:

By the way in your opinion what/why is my c drive exposed...is it a trojan or have I been "probed"???

**UPDATE--I am updating my post...I have finished scanning my pc with my AV and nothing showed up...I am using Norton 2004 Professional....my other pc I figured I might throw a hook in my punch and try Bitdefender [online scan]...The other pc using Bitdefender is finished scanning and NO problems were found.......reason I am using the online scan is I heard Mr. Norton isn't always reliable...so as I look at it like this as I should get more than just the one scan using Norton...two different TYPE of scans could possibly show something different from the other...anyway..still up the creek without a paddle....cannot get into the admin option....and the c drive is still EXPOSED!!:mad:

Just a FYI-I looked into the username for loggin onto my pc and I according to the info it has my name along with the following underneath it "computer administrator"...is this a green light for me to be able to follow m3z's suggestions as posted earlier?? Can I do a system restore??? Will this hide the c drive to an earlier state??

I am covered!!

I did a complete system restore added BLACKICE bought some duct tape and now believe my pc is secure..... for a few days at least!!

m3z, I want to thank you for your valuable time as well as your attention to this matter!!:D

All quiet on the Western Front!!:beard:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom