I also have a reboot loop! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default I also have a reboot loop!

I have a friends system with keeps restarting time and time again at boot up. everything turns off except the power light on the front of the PC. also its a emachine.
I get to the Windows loading screen, then a blue screen flashes up very quickly, too quick to read what it says and then it repeats the process.
I've tried the F8 key and start from last known good configuration, but it makes not difference.
Also tried Safe Mode start, get to the .....Windows\System\Drivers\Mup.sys and it hangs for a while, then restarts again, same process follows.

I think the virus software was up to date, so not sure if it's that, a new game was installed a few days again, but it ran ok for a couple of days until it suddenly went like this.

I remember reading somewhere a process to boot to a command prompt and copy some stuff from the Windows disk, but can't remember what that was?

I've also tried booting to floppy and doing fdisk /mbr, still not change?

If anyone could give me some pointers, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

-eVGA 8800GTX 630/2000
-80 gig 7200rpm SATA HDD
-320 gig 7200rpm SATA HDD
-Sony DVD/CD burner
-NZXT Tempest
-Antec True Power 550 watt PSU

MACBOOK
-2.4Ghz Penryn
-2GB RAM
-250GB HDD
Old 10-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to jcortes

try a repair on the os. also has there been any hardware changes since this started happening.

AIM = jcortestechhelp
Old 10-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

You can also download (on another machine) a copy of DFT and run that off of a cd on the machine. It might help in determining if the actual drive is bad or if the software is bad.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I have an eMachines that did this before, come to find out it was my CPU fan, could possibly be a bad video driver... I had to buy a new fan for my CPU.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

disable the automatic restart option that shows when you hit f8 and tell us the error code
Old 10-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I don't know if it'll be helpful or not but I fixed my problem by plugging my HD into my friend's PC and his copy of Windows noticed that it had errors and fixed 'em. Since then it's been working as normal.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: I also have a reboot loop!

Quote:
Originally posted by will h4x 4 food
I have a friends system with keeps restarting time and time again at boot up. everything turns off except the power light on the front of the PC. also its a emachine.
I get to the Windows loading screen, then a blue screen flashes up very quickly, too quick to read what it says and then it repeats the process.
I've tried the F8 key and start from last known good configuration, but it makes not difference.
Also tried Safe Mode start, get to the .....Windows\System\Drivers\Mup.sys and it hangs for a while, then restarts again, same process follows.

I think the virus software was up to date, so not sure if it's that, a new game was installed a few days again, but it ran ok for a couple of days until it suddenly went like this.

I remember reading somewhere a process to boot to a command prompt and copy some stuff from the Windows disk, but can't remember what that was?

I've also tried booting to floppy and doing fdisk /mbr, still not change?

If anyone could give me some pointers, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Self-reboot is the unique feature we found in Windows Xp.

But my experience told me that the non-stop rebooting of the OS sometimes was caused by the running out of system resources because the PC was being infected by malware!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Re: I also have a reboot loop!

Quote:
Originally posted by kwokwai
Self-reboot is the unique feature we found in Windows Xp.

But my experience told me that the non-stop rebooting of the OS sometimes was caused by the running out of system resources because the PC was being infected by malware!
it could be a million different things like conflicting software, corrupt files or bad hardware.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

I would try a system repair with your Windows disk. If that still doesn't fix the problem, you could try running a parrallel OS on a disk, ala knoppix and seeing if there are any problems similiar (kernal panic, etc) If the knoppix route fails, probably hardware.

My sister had an emachines that ran fine, until it reboot four or five times and then wouldn't boot up period. I opened up the case and found a fried HDD. What year was the puter purchased new?
Ubuntu - it\'s all about the bun\'s baby!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Re: Re: I also have a reboot loop!

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
it could be a million different things like conflicting software, corrupt files or bad hardware.
Good point!

QFT